NAVY FLAKE Harsh?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Felix, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felix

Felix Member

Tried my first flake tobacco. Bought some Navy Flake from a local B&M. It seems dry. Crumbly and easy to shred/break.

My Question is, smoked half a bowl and it is HARSH. Not a lot of taste and very close to smoking a dry cigar. How do i hydrate the tobacco or what do i need to do to make it less harsh, or did i just waste 11.00 on 7oz?

FELIX:sh:

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Which Navy Flake?

3. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

$11 for 7 oz!!! That's a steal. Now I really want to know what it is. Is that price correct?

ATXPipe likes this.
  4. Felix

Felix Member

Yes. I believe so. It was 10.95 for a large "Stick." he put it on a scale and all. I just went out and finished the pipe after a break, and it seemed a bit better. But still STRONG.

I dont know what type of Navy Flake it is. Ill ask when i stop again.

Gentlemen also gave me a free Cigar for serving the county (I was in uniform).

Maybe Navy Flake will grow on me. But would still like to know how to hydrate it, or do i need to????

FELIX:sh:

5. tungbite

tungbite Member

Try taking about a 4 inch piece of paper towel and wet it with water (distilled best). Fold it up and squeeze till damp and place in plastic bag. This should help rehydrate by the next day.

6. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I've never tried to, or had cause to try and rehydrate a flake. About the only reliable method I've ever found is to place the tobacco in a bowl with a damp towel over the top of it, but not touching it, and letting it absorb the moisture slowly.

tungbite likes this.
  7. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

make sure you use distilled water...tap water can (but not always) mess up a tobacco...and for the price of a gallon of distilled water, why take the risk?

8. Felix

Felix Member

Thanks for all the advice. I will try the paper towel trick. Ill let you all know how it goes.

FELIX

9. hansel

hansel Member

they have these cool humidor buttons, they look like coins with holes in them and on the inside is maybe clay or some other absorbent material. they are great for re-hydrating dry baccy, and cheap to. my tobacconist has them for like 75cents a pop

and if your baccy is to wet then put a dry one in and itll absorb lots of moister

ruffinogold likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Don't let that one sample of Navy Flake scare you off either. There are some great Navy Flakes that aren't harsh at all- Samuel Gawith making one of them. Very smooth and nice flavor.

ATXPipe likes this.
  12. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

If a flake is too harsh, fill the lower half of the bowl with a plain Virginia or burley & put the flake on top. You'd be surprised at how good it is. To rehydrate I keep a few little pieces of sponge, about 1" x 1" and wet them & put in the tobacco container for a day or so. If you have a little plastic container to put the sponge in, it is better. Then mix the tobacco so the moisture is not just on top.

13. user2453

user2453 Member

Not trying to steer the thread off topic, but is there any formulation to what makes a flake a Navy Flake? I have smoked three from Samuel Gawith, Peter Stokkebye, and Macbarren. They are all comprised of different tobacco and flavors. Just a side note, SG Navy flake is awesome.

ATXPipe likes this.
  14. halpuff

halpuff Member

I received two tins of Samuel Gawith Navy Flake in a trade. It is my first experience with flakes and man do I love this stuff. I'm almost through the first tin and I wish everything came in flakes. I love the way it burns so slow. Once through the charring lights the thick flakes seem to just hold its smoldering burn better than finer cut tobaccos for some reason and it burns cool. My gosh I can keep one flake burning in my large 3/4 bent for nearly an hour or so. I love the flavor and complexity of the aroma, and I just like messing with the flakes. To me flakes really add another dimension to the pipe experience.
    Halpuff

ATXPipe likes this.
  15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The "navy" designation is primarily to describe a tobacco that has a rum flavoring. Some, like McClellands Navy Cavendish, simply place the virginia flakes in an old rum cask. The rum soaks into the oak barrels and gives off an "essence" to the tobacco. Others add a rum flavoring. Those tend to have a stronger rum flavor, whereas the McClellands is more of a whisper.

Navy can also mean just a navy cut, which historically is simply a flake cut. Flakes hold moisture longer and are better for those longs trips at sea. The smoker (or chewer) could just break off a piece, crumble it and smoke it.

16. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The only navy flake I've ever had was MacBarens and it was mild. It isn't one of my favs but it ain't bad. Are you sure you aren't smoking it too fast?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.