1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Navy Flake?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Beale, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

I am looking for a good Navy Flake. My local JR's has:
    Dunhill
    Mac Baren
    Mc Clelland
    C&D

Any suggestions from the above? Thanks Beale.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

MacBaren , Dunhill , McC and C&D .... in that order ... imo . Theyre all good .. Enjoy !

3. Charles

Charles Member

MacBaren is by far the best of all those. I live off Navy Flake or OGS

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacB Navy Flake is really awesome, and the price is great. If you're looking for a balance of great tobacco offered at an outstanding price, then MacB Navy Flake wins hands-down - especially if you buy in bulk ($39 a pound at Cup O' Joe.com) and cellar it.

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks all! Beale.

6. ruffinogold

If they have any PS Navy Flake .... give it a go as well . It's very good

tsgourley likes this.
  7. alchemist

alchemist Member

I don't even know what navy flake is. Five different people tell me five different things. I gather it once had to do with rum, so when I pressed and sliced a brick of flue-cure I had cased with rum, I called it "Navy Flake." Still not sure about it, though. :cfsd:

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Yezzir, good stuff. I'm sitting on four ounces, and am gonna order a pound next month or so. I think the true meaning of "Navy Flake" has been corrupted and lost over the years, cuz LNF is a VaPer (light on the Per part). Still, it doesn't much matter cuz it's a damn good flake offered at damn good price.

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

Question? Do all Navy Flakes have Rum? I was looking at the MacB yesterday. I did not see any listed in the ingredient list? I was hesitant to buy without knowing what exactly it is?
    Can someone describe the flavor for me? Beale.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

No. Not all Navy flakes are created equal. ;)
    I have at least two different Navy flakes. Both
    of which don't have rum added.

Beale likes this.
  11. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks Snake! How about the Mac Baren? This is the one I am looking at? I want to try it but at $11.00 for a tin? I was just wondering about it in particular? Beale.

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Never tried that MacB, but they always make good
    blends. Plus, you can't go wrong with a toby from
    Denmark! IMHO, of course. :cool:

13. DocB

DocB Active Member

I need to try this Navy Flake that ya'll speak of...

14. Eleven

Eleven New Member

you wont get wrong with Mac Barens Navy flake, as long as you like that "honey" casing Mac Baren is typical for, try it - you wont regret it....

15. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I'm half-way through my first tin of MacB's Navy Flake, and I like it so much that I'm inclined to only buy flake from now on (but why limit myself?). Even so, I can't say that I notice that much sweetness from it, honey casing or not. :)

16. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

MacB Navy Flake is good like all have said here, but to ans... Beale,s question...yes MacB navy flake is cased with rum and therfore has a very light rum taste to it.. you won't be sorry if you buy it Beale

17. ruffinogold

I think the MB Navy has a top note of rum or whatever but it's pretty subtle . It's one of those things where you'll notice it more if it wasnt there . Kinda like a quite bass line . Come to think of it , alot of these style blends have that subtle thing goin on . It's like SWR[ I know .. totaly different ] . SWR has a touch of something which is almost unnoticeable but makes a difference . Without it , I think it would taste just like PA[ which is fine ] . I find that whatever rumish flavor that is going on dosent stay the whole bowl .. but with out it .. I think would be different . I'll stop now cause I'm losing myself .. lol

18. Redone

Redone Member

McB Navy is the Bomb and my #1 flake hands down ...go for it. PS navy has too much bite for me MCB is smooth and biteless.

19. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks again all! This will be my next tin, Beale.

20. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Redone, what am I missing? I read your post and decided to pop open my MB NF. Upon opening I was greeted with a wonderful grape smell. I thought, why have I waited so long! I then reached in and selected two flakes. They were stiff and semi dry to the touch. I went to fold them and they imediatly started to crumble like dry leaves.

I sit here, still smoking, and am getting very little flavor. Occasionally some hints of espresso, but those are few and far between.

One good thing I can say about it is it stays lit well. That could be because it is so dry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.