1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Need a briar(quality and inexpensive)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by KeysandPlastic, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

What are some quality briar brands that you would recommend, I would spend upwards of $70 per pipe for briar only.

I called the local tobacconist and asked about Peterson pipes, they don't carry them because they feel their quality has diminished

2. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Savinelli or Standwell. Also check out some estate briars on smokingpipes.com. I have purchased estate Savs and a Butz Choquin from them and they do an excellent job of cleaning.

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

There are a lot of threads related to this topic.

"Big 3" are Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell. All produce pipes in your price range.

Then there are a thousand other brands/subrands. Pipes are very incestuous.
    Everyone has an opinion....

I personally think Invicta Briars are every bit as good, or better, than the Big 3 put out at the same price point. Though I do not have one, Blakemar briars get a lot of love around here too.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I would go to a local tobacco shop and simply select what appealed to me. It would be difficult to go wrong with a ppe in the $70 price range. Make sure the airway is located properly in the bottom of the chamber.

5. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Brigham! for 70$ you can get a 3-dot (even a chinook(old 4-dot) on some sites), but a stanwell works too I guess. lol

6. Steve IoM

Steve IoM Member

I've just bought myself a Butz Choquin straight Cadre Noir, with a removable 9mm filter. Cost me £40 (about $65-70 US) and it's breaking in very nicely indeed. Well worth a look for that sort of budget, but it depends what floats your boat really! Happy hunting!

7. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

BC pipes are ideed awesome! I love the Balzac semi-churwarden!

8. Steve IoM

Steve IoM Member

I'm very happy with that particular find! I've not been smoking pipes very long (about 6 months or so) but I decided that I deserved a nice "proper" pipe instead of the few basket pipes I have.

9. Spillproof

I want everyone to have their perfect pipe.
    Is there a certain shape you're after? A particular maker?

If you are not averse to an estate pipe, that's your best price-point.
    There are thousands of pipes on Ebay listed at under $70, and you don't "need" to spend any certain amount to get quality.

With a little education, and some patient hunting, you can find bargains.

10. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I am here to comfirm that Spill indeed DOES want us to have our dream pipes! lol

jpberg and Spillproof like this.
  11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

12. Hudson

Hudson Member

He does make some gorgeous pipes but I didn't find any "available". Did I miss a category or?

13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I would tend to agree, estate Sav's, Stanwell's, and Peterson's can be great bargains at the $40-$70 level. Italian no-name basket pipes can be good bargains as well in the same price range. Savinelli makes a Roma line that is a great smoking pipe. Tsuge pipes on Smokingpipes.com have a line of $50 pipes that I read are outstanding bargains as well. Happy hunting!

14. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Go with an estate pipe from Smokingpipes.com or even from http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/ (he has a section of estates for under $50 that are all great deals, there is a nice BC up for grabs for I think $45 bucks). Most of my pipes are estates, because you don't have to break them in and you are getting a lower than retail price, why go for a "cheap" new pipe when you can pay the same or a little more for a pipe that used to retail for a lot more? If you do want a new pipe, also give Vauen pipes a look, great smokers and awesome quality fit and finish. Good luck!

15. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee1787.html
    This is the Butz Choquin that I was thinking of, still for sale, awesome grain, sure to be a great smoker at $45 bucks. 9.5/10 so it's basically new! Actually, this thing is really tempting me, one of you better buy it quick!

16. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

I've found my old (estate) Stanwell lovat and my new Savinelli Baronet Bruyere 814EX to be excellent pipes for the $$ (around 55USD).

Vaquero likes this.
  17. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Awesome pipes, definitely not in the $70 range though.

18. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

My problem is I only can get my purchases on the web.And being new to this,I run into a constant problem, how do you measure a pipe? I got a savoy, and its smaller than it appeared.They never look the same when in my hands.Either too small or too big. how do you measure a pipe? I cant figure.
    bowl size?

19. Spillproof

Measurements to consider include bowl height, bowl width/diameter, and shank length.
    Not a lot of makers rank their pipes by size, but Dunhill does. "Group Sizes" for Dunhill are often used in conversations about other pipes, as a generalized size reference.

Notably, there is a bit of overlap in group sizes, particularly between different shaped pipes.
    Dwaugh will stumble in here soon with a graph, and messed up hair.

jpberg and smokinjoe like this.
  20. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

For 70 bucks, an estate pipe from one of the quality E-tailers is the way to go. It's still gonna be a crap shoot as to how well any pipe, new or estate, will smoke regardless of price, but purchasing it from a reputable seller will help if and when there's an issue. Visit your local B&M and fondle his wares, er, his pipes. At some point you'll find a size and shape that just fits you, which you can use to select something on-line. OR, after spending some time watching you handle his goods, er, his pipes, the proprietor may be inclined to make a discounted deal with you.

jpberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.