1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a introduction guide

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Squatch347, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telltime

telltime Active Member

I recommend using TR much like I would recommend using this forum (well, for tobacco reviews purposes, as this board/forum allows for conversations)...

- Use it as a resource to answer questions you have about a tobacco (does it contain Latakia, for example... if you don't like Latakia then no matter how many stars the toby has you likely won't like it).
    - Find a reviewer who seems to like some of the things you also like... look up blends you KNOW you like, read the reviews and see if any particular folks who have posted reviews made comments similar to your thoughts on that toby. Then "follow" them in their reviews to see what they suggest. If your taste are similar, you will likely find what they highly rate worthwhile.
    - Discount the people who claim to know a lot about everything. Even on this forum, I've found the most "knowledgeable" people to be very humble. They educate without ever getting snippy, braggy, or condescending. Makes me want to chat with them and learn more.

Spend some time here (and on TR)... you'll eventually learn who has been around awhile and who really knows their stuff. They are eager to share their knowledge (which, frankly, I've found to be downright encyclopedic from a few!. I'm still a relative newbie on this board (only a few months or so at this point), but that's my two cents worth...

Best regards, and enjoy!

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Points on tobacco and pipes are well discussed here, thx.

Points on personality should be discussed in private messages, thx. Let's keep the board on track.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'd say this sums it up very nicely. Well done!

I'd only add that the reviews on TR.com are opinions only. Beyond naming the constituent tobaccos in a blend, there's little in the way of quantifiable info. Things like taste, strength, complexity, burn quality, etc, are often subjective. Even someone with similar tastes will steer you wrong once in awhile. The reviews and feelings of others can be a nice guide but are hardly absolute.

In the interest of a tobacco seeker not spending a lot of money on trials, I'll have to see if this board has a forum to request samples of tobaccos they want to try. I've seen that work well elsewhere. Someone posts that they want to try Brand X and another poster that has some chimes in and a trade is made. If this site doesn't have something like that, I think I'll suggest it.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Even if you pay no attention at all to the reviews, TR is a wealth of knowledge. Where else has anyone seen as comprehensive a listing of tobaccos, say nothing of the fact that are so easily searchable. If I'd had a database like that available to me when I started smoking it would've taken years off my learning curve.

Want to know all of the Dunhill blends ever produced? Go to TR. Figure out you like Penzance and want to know what other stuff Esoterica blends? Go to TR. Decide that you don't like perique and want to know if a blend you're thinking about buying has any in it? Go to TR. Want to see what tin art on Bengal Slices looks like? Go to TR.

Hells bells, of course reviews are subjective, if that's all you're looking for, you don't need TR, but if you want a little history, or if you want to thin your wish list a bit, it's a damn good site.

5. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

I agree it's a damn nice pipe tobacco resource. The key when reading reviews is to find someone with similar tastes as yourself and see what else they like. Even then it's not going to be accurate for you 100% of the time, but it's a damn good start.

6. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Agree with Trendsetter on this one. Some of the reviews on TR are totally off-base, especially when the reviewer mentions tasting a certain tobacco and there's not any of that type of baccy in the blend being reviewed. TR can put you on track to some well-loved baccys and the advanced search feature can help you find other blends similar to ones you enjoy once you start to be able to identify what types of baccy you like to smoke.

I just smoke as much as I can and try to identify what's what in the blends. That's how I'm building my knowledge base. Started out smoking only aromatics, but after a couple of months I know I love latakia, hate perique, and have only a small tolerance for Orientals (overall). Just takes time. You'll get there.

7. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

I also hate how those same ppl who say they taste something that isnt there, usually give the blend a horrible review and one star rating because of said baccy

8. Major

Major Member

TR is good for cross reference IMHO. I read the best and worst ratings of a blend. I pay attention to the reviews that seem to be unbiased and avoiding those who are apparent chowder heads. I look for words like soapy chemical flavor. Such a person has a sensitive pallet and worth paying attention too while ignoring others who use words like "sucks, worst crap on the planet " with no distinction as to why they might say that and yet fill their words with disgust and even rage.

I read the toby's blended and the casing if any. If someone says this virginia has alot of vanilla in it and the casing says : various.... I move on. If it says Latakia in the blend. automatic pass. I don't like to be surpized if i can avoid it. If I am surpirzed by something reviewers missed and I don't like the blend or do like it. I am sure to note it in my personal reviews.

For the most part read the description and look for favorable and unfavorable reviews that are as unbiased and descriptive as possible. Those types of reviewers are the most level headed.

When I'm done there I I turn and consult St Ying for ratification.

9. Squatch347

Squatch347 Member

It figures there would be a Wiki. Thanks for all the info everyone. Pipedia fit the bill of what I was looking for, I think I can start to read the forums here and understand some of the language. TR was good, I looked through it trying (just like I do with wine or food) to focus on the non-subjective (as much as this is possible) terms. I bought a couple of ounces of Hobbit's Weed and I will be interested to try it out. Thanks for all the help everyone, good to find a home, now if I can just find a nice place to smoke near my actual home...

10. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

11. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I didn't mean to be overly anti-TR; I'm glad that it exists and it is definitely a valuable resource. I guess I was just using my typically hyperbolic method of suggesting that a person not take everything at face value as any cranky dude with some sort of tobacco agenda can write whatever they want (like most things on the internet).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.