1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Need a little help ID-ing a pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Hoxlor, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoxlor

Hoxlor Member

When I was younger my great uncle smoked this pipe and I admired it a great deal. He recently passed and it was passed down to me. I know it is a Dr. Grabow Westbrook "Ajustomatic" or something like that, but what I would like to know more about this particular model; is there something that makes it truly special?
    Also I want to clean the stem up a bit and make it look like new again, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

~Hox[​IMG]

Preacher1611 likes this.
  2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

That is a very nice Westbrook. It will serve you well. Get yourself a set of Micromesh pads and that stem will buff up beautiful.

I didn't realize Dr. G made a poker. Man do I like that pipe.

3. Hoxlor

Hoxlor Member

It was his weekly smoke for as long as I can remember so that's great to hear

4. Terry292

Terry292 Member

The Dr Grabow Westbrook pipes were part of a coupon offer from R. J. Reynolds which ran from about the mid-50s through 1987, when Reynolds sold its pipe tobacco brands to John Middleton, Inc. The Reynolds people placed coupons in George Washington, Carter Hall and Prince Albert tobaccos. Sparta Industries, manufacturers of Dr Grabow, in Sparta, NC, made the pipes. Five coupons and a couple of bucks got you a new pipe. Some people, myself among them, are of the opinion the Grabow/Reynolds coupon pipes were some of the finest American pipes ever made.

Ted, a member here, can probably add volumes to this. Hope he sees this post and chimes in.

More about the Westbrooks here:
    http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about66.html

colorduke, ted and Preacher1611 like this.
  5. Hoxlor

Hoxlor Member

Thanks for the info Terry, I'd been trying to do a little research into the Westbrook pipes but I kept coming across ebay postings that didn't have any useful info to me. I hope Ted sees this too I'd like to hear what people can tell me about this pipe.

6. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have a Westbrook in my rotation and love it.

7. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Adjustomatic refers to the stem fitament it is designed to be able to rotate the stem to bring it back into alignment. In other words if it was over tightened and didn't align you could just keep turning it until it lined up properly. Sadly with age most of them tend to seize in place, but when they work they're pretty slick.

8. ted

ted Member

I'm here. Terry led you to a link at the DGCF that will answer many questions.

Your #85 Westbrook was made in about 1978. It is a "dandy"... ted

Preacher1611 likes this.
  9. Hoxlor

Hoxlor Member

Thanks for the help guys; I really do appreciate it.

10. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

That's a real beaut you got there Hox! You take good care of that and it'll treat you well in return! :toast:

11. krusty

krusty Active Member

Legacy pipes are great and that's a good one for sure Hoxlor.

Interesting that the spade on the stem is white. I thought the Westbrooks all had orange spades.

ted and KingsTarantula like this.
  12. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

It's a great looking Dr. G. Enjoy it well!

13. ted

ted Member

Stem has been replaced... Most all 1570 stems can be used as a replacement... td

Tsalagi44, krusty and KingsTarantula like this.
  14. Hoxlor

Hoxlor Member

I'd thought about that too, the way I figured it my uncle must've replace the stem too, like Ted said. I had wondered initially since all the Westbrooks I've seen have had orange(y) red(ish) spades on them.

15. krusty

krusty Active Member

To have replaced the stem is further proof your uncle enjoyed this particular pipe, here's to your doing the same!

ted likes this.
  16. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I love pokers and that one is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Family pipes are a special thing.

ted likes this.
  17. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Thats a nice looking Westy,hope you enjoy it as much as your uncle did

ted likes this.
  18. Hoxlor

Hoxlor Member

I took the the pipe out for a test smoke this morning; it was an interesting experience. I can distinctly recall the slightly sweet, almost whisky smell of my uncle's tobacco and I could taste its ghost. But I'm alright with that.

I'm on the fence with the stinger "filter" since this is my first smoke with any kind of filter. I'll have to give it a few more smokes before I cast any judgement on it.

Thanks again for the help ID-ing the pipe

~Hox

Preacher1611 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.