Need a Nic hit

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by IrishRover, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Hello everyone!
    What tobacco would you suggest for the best nicotine hit? I am still quitting the cigs (5 Days so far), haven't had a pipe in forever either, but will be hitting it soon. Being that when I do smoke the pipe and don't inhale is there a baccy with significant nicotine that somehow gets absorbed?
    Thanks!!!

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Virginias in general have more nictine in them than any other type of tobacco. Hundreds of years ago when I was coming off of cigarettes I'd to teach myself that unless I inhaled with a pipe I was never going to get the instant hit you got with a cigarette - it'd take about 10 -20 minutes to happen with a pipe.

Despite what is said about virginias by the way - 5 Brothers which is an American Burley stocked by at least 4 Noggins claims to have the highest nicotine content on the planet - and it to me smokes more akin to a virginia than a burley and even tastes more like one. It's also great for shifting ghosts out of a pipe!

Best as ever

Gerry

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Five Bros. is a great suggestion.

A few others...

Peterson's Irish Flake, Tambolaka, any of the Gawith ropes, G&H's Dark Bird's eye, and I also hear C&D's Night Train and Old Joe Krantz. Any of these should do the trick.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

You won't go far wrong with some G&H or Sam G's brown twist....if you could get hold of some Condor Long Cut - that would fill the bill!...as Daddy used to say -"it will put hairs on your chest!" :eek:hyeah:
    To me - 5 Bros. is a rolling tobacco, I tried it once in my pipe - never again!, sorry all you fans!, but it's just too fine cut, and dry!...but might help you give up the cigs....or smoking! :lol:
    Cheers, OT

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I typically smoke very large capacity pipes. There are only 3 tobaccos that force me each time to smoke them in smaller bowls, due to the nicotine rush I get from them... Cornell & Diehl's Kelly's Coin and Kajun Kake, and Gawith & Hoggarth's Kendal Kentucky.

Any of those in a large bowl will make my head swim and my stomach roil.

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I'll second Mr. Yang's mention of Gawith and Hoggarth Bird's Eye, and add Dark Flake from the same maker.

7. Major

Major Member

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

+1

They don't call it Malawi Wowwee for nothing. Fold, stuff, light, tamp, puff and snork for 10-minutes. Fall over.

9. CBR

CBR Member

I concur. I usually smoke XS And KS pipes but not when it comes to Kendal Kentucky. That blend goes strictly in the cobs which are quite small

10. beeftip

beeftip Member

I have to respectfully disagree with Gerry on this. According to "The Pipe Smoker's Tobacco Book" by Robert F. Winans, Burley tobacco has the most nicotine. Virginia or flue-cured tobacco is actually fairly low in nicotine.

If it is nicotine you are after, focus on burley or air-cured dominant blends. Kentucky dark fired blends will also knock your socks off. Dark fired is an air cured leaf that has been further cured by the smoke from open wood fires in curing barns.

11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Thanks for all of the replies!! :thankyou:

12. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Irish Flake is a good one, very strong.

13. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I don't usually notice nicotine, and I would smoke a bus muffler if I could get it lit.
    That being said, Villiger 1888 Late Night hit me pretty hard last time I smoked it.
    Tambolaka, but its more fun to try it than it is to smoke it full-time.
    Peterson Irish Flake is probably up there with Late Night.
    1792 made me feel funny, but I don't think that was nicotine.
    I have occasionally inhaled while smoking Sir Walter Raleigh when I craved nicotine.
    I'm smoking Ten Russians right now and it just makes me crave a filterless Camel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.