1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Need advice on old estate purchase

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by troyhoot, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troyhoot

troyhoot New Member

Around 15 years ago I acquired this collection when my best friends grandfather past on. It has been sitting in storage ever since. I broke it out and went through it some this weekend. He kept a semi good record of most of the pipes. Numbered with purchase price and value some 50 years ago. Most dates are in the early 1950's. I am going to start pipe smoking but I dont think I need 90 pipes. I had a few more but those were broken beyond repair. Would it be worth my time to see some of these or would it be more trouble then its worth? All of them seem to be a name brand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Those mostly look worth fixing up to me. Looks like a typical pipe collection of the era, featuring kaywoodies, yelloboles, maybe some petersons etc.

3. troyhoot

troyhoot New Member

yeah some yelloboles, kaywoodies, bunch of grabows, wally frank, marxsman, royale, Arlingtons, Streamliner, Willard, Fleetwood and a K linden wein Most of them are in real good shape IMO just need some tlc. The briar wood is all real nice for most part.

EDIT: I cant edit my first post. I meant to say "would it be worth to sell some or not worth the effort"

4. raistlinsk

raistlinsk Member

You could send some to me to fix up!!!

5. Rider

Rider Member

well if there any kaywoodies in there (i spotted a few) that your looking to get rid of i might be interested in buying them. i like those black rusticated ones too.

whether you decide to sell or keep any they all look to be in good shape for the most part, and all of them good to get you started :cheers:

6. troyhoot

troyhoot New Member

Any suggestion which ones to start with? smoking wise.

7. Rider

Rider Member

any and all. close your eyes a pick one :eek:hyeah:

8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

The best advice I can give you is, keep them all. Give yourself a chance to get into pipe smoking. Unless you need the $, smoke all of them. You'll be amazed at how many pipes you think you'll need just one year from now. Nice bit of history too. If it was me, I'd need all of them. Great find!

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

There looks to be some decent pipes in there. Pick the ones that were obviousl smoked the most to start with as it would be obvious that they were the most enjoyed and gave a good smoke. If you don't want to mess with cleaning them up, I am a buyer of old estate pipes, I restore them and resell them. Let me know and I can make you an offer. But you will find you can't have too many pipes, I have over 450 in my personal rotation and another 300 or so I am working on to sell.

10. Rider

Rider Member

all the guys above me are right and something to add.....

all those pipe have been together for how long? to me it would be a shame to break them up but im weird like that :peep:

11. Rockaholic555

Rockaholic555 Member

As a newer pipe smoker building my collection I'd say keep them all until you figure out which you like. It's kinda neat to keep the entire set together, but if you found that you favored a certain amount of them I'm sure there would be plenty of people here willing to restore and find new homes for the others. YMMV

12. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Ole broke is right. Hang on to them for now. Who knows what you may be interested in later or how many pipes you may want.

13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

You might lose your Mojo if you break up the set!

OBD.

14. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i got a guy i sell through. his commission is pretty tiny and he gets good exposure, a lot easier than selling them yourself.

also, there's a pipe or two in there i want to buy if you're planning to.

that being said, smoke before you sell. sounds like you got a deal on them, and better you have more pipes than you need than spending a small fortune building the collection back up after you sell too many.

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Smoke them all! Well, except for
    the canadian in the first photo as
    it looks as if it has burnout.

dp

16. troyhoot

troyhoot New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. Guess I have a new hobby. Restoring these up. Time to start researching techniques.

17. Edlj

Edlj Member

There ya go! Clean them up and smoke 'em. After you learn more about the fine art of pipe smoking you can begin to weed out the ones that don't suit you and you shouldn't have any problems selling or trading them off. I saw at least twenty that I would buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.