1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Choosing (Read Label Below)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KeysandPlastic, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Was really looking forward to Rattrays Bagpipers Dream but it's Out of Stock at Mars Cigars, just that setting I see as it is a "Crowd Pleaser" is something I'm interested in. As stupid as this sounds, please bash me if it does.

Anyone know of a tobacco that you would picture someone smoking on cold/windy green hills....rural areas, any tobacco that would create that setting would be great(What pops into my head is '''English''' tobacco??) Scenery of rural cold green hills like Norway or Netherlands.

Aromatic or not, doesn't matter, something that draws people in(non latakia)....that would create a vision in someones head...

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

If you're going for room note, Evening Stroll would be hard to beat. I find it a mild smoke but satisfying in nicotine.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm becomming very fond of SG Firedance . The wife said just yesterday ... " it's ok if you walk around the house w/ that blend " . It's a killer VA / mild Aro . As Brian said ... Evening Stroll is killer also

4. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Out of Stock, both FireDance and Evening Stroll

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

4 noggins has Evening Stroll but they're out of SG FD.

6. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

My list of stuff I'm getting non including a tin of tobacco rating I get here OR W.O Larsens Signature

2 Cobs
    4 oz Lane
    2 Replacement Bits
    (A tin of good room note tobacco, that doesn't taste like crap) .... I had some Gettysburg from Virginia ....smelt great, taste like crap.

I can't afford to spend in shipping or I would, 4Noggins seems steep in price.

Bagpipers dream would be my pick but marscigars seems to be out of it, would really like for people to vision that scenery of the tobacco choices I hope to gain from here

"Anyone know of a tobacco that you would picture someone smoking on cold/windy green hills....rural areas, any tobacco that would create that setting would be great(What pops into my head is '''English''' tobacco??) Scenery of rural cold green hills like Norway or Netherlands."

It does sound a bit stupid but besides the one given, any tobacco that can invision someone to think that....lol.

7. Major

Major Member

Bri2k gave you the best advice on the subject. Benjamin Hartwell... Evening Stroll. Room note is super and the flavor is right up there too. One of my favorites anyway.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Erinmore Flake. Classic pipe tobacco, classic pipe smell. Tastes like tobacco too. Not an aromatic per se. The cute tin and good price it goes for is gravy.

9. deertracker

deertracker Member

+1 for the Erinmore flake i smoke it at least once a week

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Vell, by golly. Venn dot Norveejen fishman he comes back from a long day of catching them herrings he is gonna vont a real kick in the butt, by golly. I tink he yoost might stuff dot bowl full wit Dunhill Royal Yacht, by golly. Ja - shure. He knows den he got himself a bowl of tobak, by golly.

Up dere dey say, "Ja. It's alveys da biggest vhale wot gets da furst harphune." Dunhill, she is da biggest vhale, by golly. And for a reason, ja, eh?

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Royal Yacht is the only tobacco that can overcome the aroma of lutefisk.

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Ja, shure. Not for da yoongsters; she is for men. :roflmao:

13. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Despair not, for here is what you seek.

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

It's Mr. Lowry for the win!!
    Cannot go wrong with SP.

15. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Mars Cigars is the only one I can afford....since they don't have the choices I was given here, I asked Sasquash on Chat and gave me 2 choices I'm going with

McClellands Virginia Woods
    Peterson Connoisseurs Choice

Thank you everyone for your help.

16. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Found something Interesting with 2 tin Tobaccos.

Peterson Connoisseurs Choice ( http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?tid=2266&offset=0#theReviews )
    Dan Tobacco Blue Note ( http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=403 )

Almost exact, which one should I choose ?

17. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

I dunno--

Neither of those give me the picture you are asking about -- smoking in cold/damp conditions across green hills in the Isles or Norway. Blue Note is yummy stuff - decent tobacco flavor under a fruity top dressing. It is one of my favorite "Dessert" smokes, after a good meal, sitting quietly with an apertiff or something. Granted, I smoke it at other times as well, but not usually when looking for a satsfying smoke while walking along, quietly contemplating to myself.

I think a more traditional blend like the Erinmore Flake, or Dunhill Royal Yacht are spot on. The Virginia Woods suggestion seems OK, but is a bit thin on both flavor and aroma to me.

I think I would choose Orlik Golden Sliced instead, as it has a very classic, comfortable aroma, coupled with the deeply satisfying sweet virginia tobacco flavor. So far, this may be the most economical quality tinned tobacco offering I have found. The flake burns well when walking, resisting the wind pretty well, and definitely fits your suggested imagery listed above. Burning away happily in my GBD estate briar, I can easily envision the scene strolling across the hills on a damp afternoon, my favorite Irish cap atop my head, and Mac buttoned up tight.

18. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Prince Albert and a fresh Cob but any pipe will do.

Why do you guys always jump on some high dollar stuff? It don't make you any "cooler" looking than an OTC.

What a bunch of schmucks............. :roflmao:

19. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Thank you very much, I really do appreciate the replies I get from everyone, even Jesla.....lol

20. pottsy

pottsy Member

Have you had Bagpiper's dream? I picked up a tin from SP a while back on a whim, cause it just sounded good. Haven't even opened it yet, and hoping it's as good as you think it might be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.