Need help filling the gaps

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Indy, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy

Indy Member

I need the advice and wisdom of pallets far more experienced than mine. Currently, I have four go-to smokes: Frogmorton, Ten Russians, Petersons University, and Solani ABF. I have arrived at these by smoking a variety of latakia, English/Balkan, Virginia, and burley offerings. With the exception of true aromatics, what are some good tobaccos that offer a flavor profile that is totally different from the four listed above?

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Stonehaven is amazing, Classic Burley Kake is another good one but the possibly the greatest blend in history may turn out to be Rewst 66 Kicken Chicken. :)

Indy likes this.
  3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You've got some good ones on the list, but you need a couple of Virginias to round it out.

Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster
    Dunhill Flake
    Samuel Gawith Golden Glow
    and maybe a VaPer like Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake

Cheers
    Brad :toast:

Indy and Rewster66 like this.
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yeah I'm thinking add a Va/Per to that list - McConnel's Scottish Cake would be my vote.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Definitely explore the VA and Vapers. A couple of the options mentioned already are good ones.

Capt likes this.
  6. Indy

Indy Member

Ahhh....home brew is often the best! I'm intrigued, share some details brother! At the risk of derailing my own thread, I have to ask about your avatar. I spent some time in S.America and ran across a bunch of chickens that were genetically featherless to one degree or another. Do you have any insight re these birds?

7. Indy

Indy Member

Thanks Brad, I’ve smoked Dunhill flake and Jackknife plug, good stuff but I (think) like my Virginia blended a bit. This is probably why I've settled into University Flake. I buy Jackknife and blend it with the frog for more depth. The VaPer suggestions from all sound interesting.

8. Indy

Indy Member

Regarding the straight VAs- any suggestions for some that are substantially different than Jackknife or Dunhill mentioned above? Possibly due to how they are processed?

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Try some McClelland Anniversary, SG Commonwealth, or Charles Fairmorn Lancer Slices. Nothing but Virginias and Latakia in these, it will be fun for you to note the difference between these and your regular blends.

dmkerr likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I have and like SG Comm. Will look into the Anniversary and the Lancer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.