1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help identifying a blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Arkie, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

My local B & M sells a heavenly blend that I love (one of the very few aros I like.) I'm very sure it is a renamed bulk blend but I can't figure out which bulk mixture it is. I do intend to continue buying it from him but I would like to know the name of it in the event he ever goes out of business or something like that happens. It has a delicate vanilla flavor along with something that might be carmel and/or orange (the flavor is so subtle it is difficult to determine.) It has a faint pouch fragrance and room note of vanilla/orange/carmel as well. It is ribbon cut and it is a mix of light brown, dark brown and a bit of black. It isn't sticky to the touch and it doesn't leave any goop in the pipe so it has very little or no humectant. It's very mild and doesn't bite. Does anyone have an idea what it might be?

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Sounds a little like Stanwell (?) Melange, which I absolutely love.

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Sounds like a lot of Lane Aro's to me.
    Are you familiar with 1Q?

4. supdog

supdog Member

Ask him. I have a b&m near me and they don't mind telling me what the real name is and who blends it.

dBear likes this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

There is very little or no humectant and the flavor is delicate so I doubt if is 1Q but I might get some 1Q again to do a comparison.

Spillproof likes this.
  6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I think he is afraid I'll start getting it entirely from on-line and quit buying it from him. Several years ago I asked one of the kids who was behind the counter if they blended it themselves and he said they did. However, they run out of their stock of it frequently and each time they say thay will be getting a supply of it delivered soon.

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Melange (which tastes like apricots & cream to me) is one of my favs but this stuff is very delicate by comparison and he sells it by bulk rather than tins. I've never seen Melange sold by bulk.

8. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Yep, my guy isn't shy about divulging his source either. He makes most of his sales on cigars anyhow.

Coda likes this.
  9. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

I ask my B&M and they basically carry 80-90% Mcclellands and some Stokkebye for their bulks.

10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I suspect the blend I like is a Stokkebye mixture. I might see if I can get a sampler package of all Stokkebye aros.

11. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Stokkebye blends are the norm at my local B&M's.

How about this one? Peter Stokkebye Sweet Vanilla. Here's one review that jumps out to me (compared to Black Vanilla...which is pretty goopy, to me).
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=2003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.