1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help identifying a Peterson system pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Brian Powers, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

Greetings,
    I've recently acquired what i believe to be a 1957 meerschaum Peterson system pipe with a horn stem. I'm unsure of the particular model and was hoping that someone might have some insight. I've attached a photo of it sitting next to an Pete's Army pipe for size comparision. The meerschaum is actually slightly smaller.
    Thanks,
    Brian

[​IMG]

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

The meer is actually smaller? The silver collar looks much larger...

Is it marked as a Peterson? If the collar has any sterling hallmarks, a picture would help in dating it.

3. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

Thanks for the reply. The collar is larger than the one on the army (and it is a Pete collar), the bowl itself is smaller. The hallmarks are a bit small, but the last is a "P" which to the best of my knowledge is 1957. I'll see if I can get a better picture tonight, the cell phone just doesn't cut it for close up shots.

4. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

[​IMG]

Here's the best shot of the hallmarking I can get.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Are you sure the mouth piece is horn ? I've never seen one with horn ... if so thats beyond cool ! I've got a super old carved briar w/ horn and I really like the feel of it . It has a ' give ' unlike any other material . You have a super score there :thu: The only reason I mention the question of horn is cause the mouth piece on it looks oxidized... but I'm not sure cause the pic is a litle blurry . By the way , I'm sure thats your finger in the reflection in the last photo ... lol

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm no expert, and my eyes are suspect, but your hallmarks appear to be 'K', '&', 'P'...and therefore not an actually assay mark...I think. (My less fancy, nickel banded system pipe has a similar, more pedestrian styled script with this.) I've nothing to add other than to say...horn??? Awesome! Pretty pipe, too!

Edited to add: the shape might be a 314, but don't hold me to that.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Looks like a Manx Meer to me, and they certainly did do pipes for Peterson. This was African Meerschaum, shipped to the Isle of Mann to be made into pipes. I've never seen a horn stem on any pete, so that's a rarity or a replacement. Certainly looks like a Kapp and Peterson stamp.

8. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

I really need to get a macro lens for my dslr. The stem is definitely horn, the oxidation you're seeing is actually a lighter portion of the stem, there are several shades of brown down to a cream. VERY soft bite, I almost hate to use it, but it such a great smoker. Y/Y I believe you're right, in my rush to determine the year, I saw what I wanted to see. I guess I'm still in the early stages of identifying it. I do know it came to me via Germany, not sure if the owner was German though. I had been looking for an estate meer to get started with and unfortunately this one caught my eye (a meer system pipe with a horn stem? No way I was going to pass this one up). I say unfortunate because I spent twice what i wanted to on it, obviously no regrets though. Think I'll spend some time this evening trying to get an accurate date on it. Thanks guys, the help and comments are appreciated.

9. yinyang

10. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

I have to think it's the same pipe. The picture of the band is the same as the one from the auction (which is posted above). I have to guess I'm not going to have much luck dating it. Thanks for saving me a boatload of time! Might not be able to date it, but at least it's almost famous. :)

11. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

317.......I have the same pipe. A little heavy but a great smoker.

12. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

Thanks Sas. Looks like it predates 2002 at any rate. Oh, and "Congratulations, you're just discover the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the funny farm...".

13. yinyang

Dating may well be a pipe dream:), but the horn stem appears to be unique. I would guess that means as much, or more, than just saying a 'Pre Republic' example, etc. Nice find!

14. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

LOL! I thought I had a rare old pipe, now it appears I have a fairly common pipe of unknown age.

15. yinyang

I believe Jesla means shape only, not the horn stem? There are quite a few Isle of Man (Laxey) system meers around(I've bid on several). All had vulcanite stems.

16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Exactly....I meant shape not the stem, which is fairly unique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.