1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Need help identifying a pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by RJohnY, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJohnY

RJohnY Member

Hey folks, I bought this board pipe from my local shop a while back and it was a favorite. It's beautiful and is very distinct.

Unfortunately, I lost it some time ago and would like to replace it. Also unfortunate is that the local shop hasn't been too helpful in being able to remember/look up the pipe to determine the maker.

I'm looking to see if others can help me out? I believe it's a straight dublin, but please correct me if I'm mistaken. Any information you can pick up such as maker or type would be great! Thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'd love to help, but the picture is not showing up. Did the pipe have any markings on it at all?

3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm getting the dreaded red x rather than a pic. It's tough to find an exact copy of a pipe unless it is a very common shape such as a billiard or pot. You could commission a pipe carver to custom make one for you. The results would be much better than anything you could get over the counter.

4. RJohnY

RJohnY Member

[​IMG]

Let's try this again...

5. RJohnY

RJohnY Member

How about that? I can see the picture just fine...

6. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Still isn't showing, just getting the "red X"
    sorry

7. RJohnY

RJohnY Member

The only mark on it is where you can plainly read "Italy"...as though that narrows it down. Maybe it does?

8. RJohnY

RJohnY Member

Let's try a different image host:
    [​IMG]

9. Basil Meadows

A lot of good pipe makers are in Italy. Some very nice smokers come from there. Probably wont narrow it by too much, but could rule out some makers.

10. Basil Meadows

That is a straight Dublin with some very nice rustication done to it.

11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

If it is just marked Italy, I hate to say it, but chances are that it was a second from some larger manufacturer, sold as a basket pipe. Chances of finding one that looks similar are pretty good, but the one beside it on the shelf may not smoke as well. I would say go ahead and shop around places like smokingpipes.com and see if you can't find something in a similar shape and finish from a manufacturer with a good reputation. You may not replace the one you lost, but you may find one you love just as much if not more!

12. jbennin314

jbennin314 Member

I would not go that far to say it was a second. I have bought plenty of no named pipes in my smoke shop before. My retail said the pipes are private label pipes. But that shape is a standard shape and you should be able to find one again. I never by a pipe on line. You can not feel or touch the pipe. The weight and balance is important. You can't tell that from a picture.
    jim

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

"Private label" pipes, now that's good marketing!

14. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I'm sorry for your loss. Basket pipes are pretty much hit and miss, the majority I have had have been misses, that being said my favorite pipe is a basket pipe that I bought almost 50 years ago when I was in college. I paid the princely sum of $2.50, I wouldn't part with it for anything. That old pipe and I have been through a lot.

15. RJohnY

RJohnY Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.