Need help ID'ing a tobby based on roomnote from yesteryear

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by N3M0, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

One of my first real memories of being little (3 or 4) is walking through our local shopping mall with my mom and smelling this wonderful toasted/candied almond smell coming from a codger smoking a pipe. You know those sugar candied roasted almonds you can get at fairs and the like, it smelled EXACTLY like that. Does anyone know of a blend that was around 25 years ago (maybe still in existence today) that matches that room note description? Every time I smell those roasted almonds at a fair, they always remind me of the little old man and his pipe that I saw at the mall. Perhaps he is the reason why I was drawn to the pipe in the first place, as none of my relatives smoked one. I only saw him that once, but the smell has stuck with me through the years. It would be nice to find the same or extremely similar blend so that I can smoke it once in a while and remember this absolute stranger, whom unintentionally gave me a memory to last a life time!

2. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Is the B&M still in existance? If it is, I am sure you could inquire what blends some of the regulars would have smoked.

3. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Hmm, that's a good question Mak. I don't even know what B&M was near by at the time and I have since moved quite a bit away from where this took place. This was in the Safety Harbor, Florida area (Countryside Mall I believe) back in 1987. Moved to Massachusetts a few years later.

4. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Wish I could help. I'm going to standby and watch. I'm sure someone on PSF is going to have a suggestion (or several). :popc:

I've had a similar quest in the back of my mind. My dad used to smoke a tobacco that came in a "bright" yellow metal tub. He would cut a slot in the top of empty tubs and save change -- which became his fishing reel money. I'd like to find out if that blend or its successor is still available and to try it, for similar reasons to yours.

5. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I wish you luck in your conquest as well Coastal :). I'm sure I'll have several suggestions coming through hopefully.

I hope you get several too

6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Tinder Box Cherry Almond comes to mind.
    Atladis sells a Coconut Almond.

Toasted cavendish something.....

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The only blend I can remember in a yellow tub is Sail Regular.

8. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Thanks Spill, I'll look into those

9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Erinmore?

10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Peterson's Sunset Breeze has an amaretto taste and fragrance but it likely wasn't available back then. It tastes like almonds and it has an overtone of cherry. It's sweetness can be a bit overwhelming when you first open the tin.

11. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Thanks Arkie

12. Coastal Bend

That sounds like a good blend and it certainly comes in a yellow container. I wonder if it was available in drug stores in the 1950s? I had been thinking maybe Carter Hall came in brighter yellow tubs when the tubs were metal. Thanks for the suggestion, Spill.

13. kb7get

kb7get Member

14. Coastal Bend

Hmmm. Those are certainly yellow cans and both have been around for a long time. Maybe.

(BTW -- I really did not intend to hijack N3MO's thread. )

15. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Quite alright Coastal :bing:

16. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I am thinking a burley blend do the the nutty aroma. Maybe Sugar Barrel?

17. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Hmm, never thought of sugar barrel, thanks for the tip psch

18. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill Member

I'm smoking Sugar Barrel right now and I'm not getting the room note that your describing. I could be wrong though, maybe others can chime in with their opinion. 4noggins sells it in bulk if you want to try it. It's a good smoke and I recommend it regardless.

19. hansel

hansel Member

i hear that the sense of smell is the sense that has the strongest connection to memory. and i totally belive this.

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Almonds huh ........... back in the day ............. yellow ........... I'm blank . I'll ponder it awhile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.