1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

need help to find what pipe this is

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi guys,

So my grand pa had this pipe with him for a long time. Theres some writing on the side but i just cant quite make out the writing on it. Any of you ever seen one like this ?
    [​IMG]

TRAVIS likes this.
  2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Wow...now that is one seriously small bowl...

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I have a feeling that the bowl used to be a lot taller....
    I've seen that dot thousands of times, somebody help out here, Willard? Yelo bole?

nesta likes this.
  4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I've seen this before....I think it is an older Yello-Bole. Maybe?

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

You can that pipe was loved and smoked.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I agree with the others, this bowl was once taller than it was now. What was once a Lovat is now a sort of pot. Definitely well loved, though.

People didn't have the same tendency to throw things away and buy new back then. I have my great-grandfather's little meerschaum bulldog, and it is missing what must have been some gold trim around the rim of the bowl, it has been banded where the shank once cracked (quite a decorative repair, though), the bit is chewed through on top, and when I received it the tenon was broken in half. I had the tenon replaced, more for sentimental reasons than for smoking purposes (though my GG died long before I was born), but I suppose I could smoke it if I want to.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I believe that is a Whitehall Red Dot. My first pipe. Is there a metal stinger that connects shank and stem?

Smoking Gun likes this.
  9. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

If there's no stinger, it might be an Italian made pipe that also might be stamped "Dry Filter" and take a Grabow/Medico 6mm. I refurbed a couple of those some years back and on one of them, the damned white and red dots fell out while i was working on the stem and promptly disappeared down the sink. I stuck a cleaner in the stem and filled the hole with wax. It worked like a charm and I smoked that pipe for a couple years like that. No idea what happened to it.

That pipe should go in a glass case and sit on the mantel, because it looks like it has survived all manner of abuse. "And over here, we have "The Survivor." Grand-dad's pipe."

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

No help on the ID, but I've known a few old pipers who would top the bowl on their pipes. One, a welder friend, would buy a new Dr. G, bring it into work and take it to the band saw, cutting the top half off the bowl. He would smoke it until it fell apart, then go out and buy another one. He said topping it made it lighter in the jaw, and he usually didn't have time for a full bowl anyhow. Funny character, if his hood was up, his pipe was lit................. Ive seen him "repair" them with duct tape, wire, fiber glass....whatever came to hand at the time.

Smoking Gun likes this.
  11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Looks very much like my Shelton. Maybe
    mine is a Whitehall second?

12. Kari johansson

Kari johansson Member

Waino likes this.
  13. David Emond

Wow thanks guys for all the help, i kept reading Vlaker or Mlaker with a magnifying glass but yes its a pipe maker.
    Thanks again this made my day :)

HCraven likes this.
  14. David Emond

so is this pipe maker company out of business ? i cant seem to find anything online concerning these pipes. Any ideas on the time line of this pipe ?
    Thanks again for the help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.