1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

need help with a estate kirsten

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by hansel, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansel

hansel Member

just got a kirsten very cheaply off ebay, all is good but i cant get the valve of the end of the pipe. this thing was smoked hard and put away wet.

any tips on how to unstick the valve, i dont want to use pliers cause ill mare up the aluminum,

2. vibhakti

vibhakti Member

I'm not a pro at restorations, but I'm thinking a pipe retort might help. The alcohol steam should loosen things up (and make further cleaning easier). Feel free to correct me, though.

3. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

Ah the valve... here's the trick.. remove the stem and bowl and soak the body off the pipe in everclear or 151 rum.
    Do not try to force the valve or it will marr badly
    let it soak for a couple hours to break down the tar thats glued it in place.

4. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

now, you probably want to know what generation Kirsten you have.
    First generation has no O-ring on either the stem or the valve.
    Second generation has an O-ring on either the stem or the valve, but not on both.
    Third and current generation, has the O-ring on both the stem and the valve.

5. hansel

hansel Member

im not sure what gen it is. it doesnt say anything about patents anywhere on the pipe, but it does have a o ring on the stem, i got a hell of deal on it. got it off ebay and it had a buy it now price of ten bucks so i was like why not, but its no where as cool as that falcon i got from ya.

6. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Thanks for the info. Just learned that mine's 3rd gen!

7. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member

What I have always done with a stuck valve is put the pipe in a vise (wrapped in a soft cloth of course) put a new pencil through the mouthpiece side with the eraser towards the valve, give the other end a couple good wacks with a hammer, then walk over to the other side of the room and pick up the valve off the floor. Soaking it never has worked for me and this is quick and no dammage done.

vibhakti and SmokeyJoe like this.
  8. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I have restored a few, I usually just dissassemble everything I can, then heat up the body with a lighter. After that I push a dowel through and pop the valve out. Works like a charm.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.