1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Need info on a Preben Holm.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by JDCHazen, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDCHazen

JDCHazen Member

A buddy of mine recently brought out his pipes he bought and hasn't smoked since the early 70's. This one looked interesting and when I asked him who made it he said: It's marked P.HOLM Denmark.

It was purchased in Germany in 1971 while he was stationed there. Anyone know much about Holm from that time?

[​IMG]

2. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

3. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

4. Russell Hartman

The man had a rich history, and in my mind when I hear the words "Danish pipes" Preben Holm is who I think of. Check the link above-nice article.

5. Russell Hartman

JDHazen--you can also look at Pipedia, and search under Ben Wade--it talks about the transition in about 1971. The pipe in your picture is a VERY worthy piece to any pipe collection. Enjoy it. Its a pipe rich in history.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I always wanted a Preben Holm. I've got a couple that were made for Ben Wade, but never got my hands on a genuine Preben Holm. But tastes change over the years. Those Preben Holm/Ben Wade pipes that I (and about a gazillion other pipe smokers) liked so much back in the 1980's now feel awkward when I smoke them. Thus, they sit on a shelf in a curio cabinet - a testiment to when pipe smoking had crested its zenith.

7. Russell Hartman

RTOdhner:
    I can relate to the tastes in pipes changing. I have one, and only one true Preben Holm pipe. It was carved by the master himself. I am its second owner. It remained with its original owner who was a pipe maker from Germany who cme to the USA many years ago to set up shop. Sadly his health has SEVERELY declined especially mentally, and his wife was cleaning out his stuff. There were several estates he had that when I held---I simply new I had to have. The Preben Holm is in pritsine almost like new condition. I concider it a very special pipe in my collection as its original owner cherished it. I have smoked it maybe twice, and cleaned it back up, and have it put away as I like you kind of find the balance, and such funny, but its a gorgious pipe. Like you said--back in the day the style of the Danish freehand seemed to have quite the following--not so much though now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.