1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some new pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by 20fifeUltimate, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20fifeUltimate

20fifeUltimate Member

Welp, the time has come to lay rest to about three of my pipes. They are all broken or burnt up so I need three recommendations from everyone. Let me know what you all think.

Additional; I don't make a habit out of destroying pipes, its not my intention, but cobs break and burn while on mission and I have one that refuses to break so thats my pipe I carry on duty. I do however need better pipes to fill in my days while not on duty.

Additional, additional; I am on a hunt for someone to carve me a pipe. If you know a lady or gentleman for the job help me get in contact with them, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

in the Ebay section I just posted some Instant Pipe collections.... PAD overload

3. Hudson

Hudson Member

If we each gave you three suggestions, you'd be overwhelmed with information so I'd suggest you look on eBay or at other online vendors, find something that strikes your fancy and might be in your budget then ask us about them. Photos or links to listings are almost essential for us to give you good advice.

As far as artisan pipemakers, there are a number who are members here so I'd recommend you read through the Pipes and Pipe Accessories sub forum and take a look at some that have been offered for sale.

If you've never really shopped for pipes and seen the incredible variety available, you're in for a real treat.

Coastal Bend and HazyDat620 like this.
  4. PatDreadful

PatDreadful Member

I'm not sure what your preference or budget is but for my money, there is nothing better than a Big Ben. In the past I have owned pipes that smoked better but also cost about 10x as much. You can get a nice Goldline or Presidential on Ebay for $10-$20 and they are sturdy as can be. The first pipe I ever owned was a Big Ben and it still holds a steady spot in my rotation.

Now if you weren't looking for low-mid range pipes, then I'd look elsewhere.

5. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

If your going for factory replacements, I'd recommend looking into Bjarne. You should be able to find a slew of them on the 'bay for reasonable prices. Otherwise, this might be a great opportunity to buy a Rad Davis. :D

Mount Mandolin and Spillproof like this.
  6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Like Hudson said, not everyone likes the same thing (though I think most would agree a Rad Davis pipe is more than worthy ;-))

How about this... What pipes are you REPLACING? Whatever they were, you clearly loved them. Sounds like you smoke a cob sometimes and a briar other times. Well, a quick solution is to get two more cobs and smoke yourself silly while figuring out your next briar.

What is your budget?
    Estate pipes can be had for under $10 or over $10,000.00.

My one piece of advice on ANY pipe you buy....
    Before you buy it, run a pipe cleaner through it. You can't eye-ball the internal mechanics of a pipe all that well. Shiny pictures on Ebay tell you nothing about the inside of the bowl.

And "falling in love with a profile" is a mistake we have all made.
    Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the core. Don't buy a pipe that doesn't pass a PC.
    (*though I sometimes do)

Stonewall likes this.
  7. 20fifeUltimate

20fifeUltimate Member

I suppose that was a really bad question to ask, wasn't it? Well, in any case I have shopped around for pipes, I have looked over walls and walls of pipes, usually talking about 20 minutes per foot of wall to observe the pipes. I look them over and try to find what I really want cosmetically then line them up and narrow it down. What I am really looking for now is a big horn or calabash to replace my two cobs and one other pipe. I have a briar that I love and so far that's the only one I need.

Let me just ask this question. what pipe makers would you recommend for a price range maxed around $300?

8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

You want a "lifetime" Calabash for $300?
    PM Sasquatch (*you might have some change left for a pouch of tobacco):
    [​IMG]

Rad Davis has also been mentioned a couple of times.
    He is a "pipe-makers pipe-maker."

There are a dozen (or more) serious pipe-makers "local" here at PSF (to name any would exclude others, and I don't own their pipes [yet]).

Check them out. Check out their work. Pick one. PM him. Get one. Burn it to a crisp.

9. 20fifeUltimate

20fifeUltimate Member

This is what I am talking about. I like seeing these recommendations and seeing their work. Thanks for the help guys

10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I very highly recommend Northern Briars. They're handmade in England by a guy named Ian Walker who does phenomenal work. His website is here: http://www.northernbriars.co.uk/ .

Still though, I've been drooling over Sasquatch's pipes for quite awhile now. I think that if you read the glowing reviews here, you will see that, well, he doesn't seem to make anything that is less than exceptional.

11. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

One day.... One day.. I'll own a Sas...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.