need to try perique and latakia, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by idiotbox37, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

so, after looking at the blends i've collected over the past couple months i realized they are all virginias, cavandish and burleys. i need to broaden my horizons a bit and try some perique and latakia but i don't know what to start with. any recommendations? thanks!

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

C&D Sunday Picnic and FMATP. If you find that you like either of those then there is your path.

For a first go at a straight Va. I suggest GLP Union Square.

3. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

For Lat: Frog Morton..the original. You could also try some Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme...a good bulk.
    Perique: C&D Kajun Kake is very good. Also Stokkebye Bullseye or Luxury Navy Flake.

4. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Virginia + Perique= Escudo

Gentle Latakia blends = Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, GL Pease's Piccadilly, Hearth and Home's Daybreak.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

C&D Revelation or Deacon's Downfall - both contain latakia AND perique :bing:

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

SG Navy Flake (available now) mild to moderate lat, nice smoke, very tastee!

GH Bob's Chocolate (available now) extremely mild lat, hardly know it's there!

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls (available now) nice smooth Va-Per, aged..........probably be one of the finest out there, pretty danged good now!

Ed
    Puff

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 for Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme ... Fan freakin tastic ... and not a Lat bomb

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 for Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme .. fan freakin tastic .. and not aLat bomb

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I'm assuming you want to try them separately first, ala a Virginia/Perique and an English?

Escudo is the benchmark va/per, but Dunhill DNR were always tasty, and both PS LBF and Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake are yummy examples.

Probably Frog Morton is the best bet for Latakia 101, but if you want to dive into a classic English you'd do well with either GLP Westminster or Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow. Good Luck.

10. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

thanks for the pointers guys! escudo has been on my list based on recommendations so i'm glad to find out it's a va/perique. my local tobacconist recommended frog morton as well but warned that it was an acquired taste.

11. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

If you can find it, Sir William english classic has a nice latakia flavour to it and also quite a bit of sweetness that i find rather pleasant, being new to english blends. The only other latakia heavy blend i got to compare to so far though is C&D Billy Budd, which i found to be a bit strong and rather rough. But that was my thoughts on the sir william too the first time i tried it. I suppose i'd say latakia is an aquired taste you aquire pretty fast ;)

12. Redone

Redone Member

I like Balkin Sanseini (sp) but was really moived by bulk McC 5110...great stuff for lat lovers. I need a good lat flake...anybody?

13. cellophane

cellophane Member

All the Stokkebye blends I've tried have been really good. Reiner Long Golden Flake (Blend No. 71) is good, as are Escudo, Kingfisher, and FMotB (a subtle perique / oriental.)

As far as english goes - not my cup of tea but I've tried a few via trades. C&D Epiphany & SG Navy Flake were good enough I'd smoke them again.

14. MarkC

MarkC Member

For perique, I love PS LBF and LNF.

Mark

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Tough to get. Germains Special Latakia Flake, Krumble Kake, Penzance, Squadron Leader.

Charles Fairmorn Lancers Slices are usually available, inexpensive and good.

16. Tairusu

Tairusu Member

Escudo should definitely be on your list. It was recommended to me through these forums and has become one of my go to tobys, I can't sing it's praises highly enough. As for Latakia blends, I suggest SG Skiff, it's usually more readily available than a lot of SG blends and is a nice intro into Latakia.

17. aquaholic

aquaholic Member

I really like some of the lat blends with syrian latakia in them, Mc 3 oaks syrian and ashtons artisans blend being 2 favorites. The syrian latakia taste richer/fuller to me.

As for vapers escudo is a must try and H&H anniversary Kake is a good intro.

18. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd agree 100% on that point. I've heard so many pipe smokers who said, "I tried my first Latakia blend and I was overwhelmed by the taste, but then I came back to it once or twice and now I love it." Honestly, I think in some ways I think Orientals may be harder to get used to, because there are so many varieties that you don't often know what to expect when you try a new blend, as they are rarely listed by name in descriptions. Personally, I've made it a goal to make my way through McClelland's Grand Oriental series, both for the enjoyment and for the education.

Herb

19. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

McCl Grand Orientals and the McCl Pipe Club blends like "996", Ringlow Syrian, Syrian Star are all super nice smokes. The Grand Orientals break it down somewhat into the primary leaf but it's still a blend of other toby.

I enjoyed taking a trek on the Oriental Express "McCl Boxcar", still do enjoy pulling out a few to be smoked in a session, nice mini-trek!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.