Never write off a tobacco based on first impressions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bent, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

I just read a thread here to the effect of: "I did not like latakia and now I love it," which inspired me to write this post. This is something we know, but I think we all need to be reminded from time to time, both seasoned and new pipe smokers alike.

If you don't like a specific variety of tobacco, don't write it off. Move on and revisit it after some time, you may be surprised.

Many fall in love with Latakia the first time (like me) and many don't like it, Latakia probably being the one that draws the strongest reaction (maybe followed by perique). I might be one of the few to love Latakia and Perique at first puff. However, if I had written off burleys, I would not be plowing through pounds of it.

The same applies with straight Virginias and VA/Per blends. I used to find them boring for the longest time, until I found one blend that allowed me to understand Virginias and begin to enjoy them more fully. I am still a Balkan fan, but enjoy lots of VA's too.

woody likes this.
  2. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Good call. I just bought a Va/Burley blend one wasn't crazy about. I was thinking about trading it off but I think I will let it sit in the cellar and will come back to it.

3. Bent

Bent Member

That's one option.
    Also you can trade it for something you like and revisit the same style of blend a few months down the road.

4. zwolanek

zwolanek Member

This is good advice for all of us. I have a number of tins set aside with "try this again in (six months)." Sure enough, many of the bitey ones lose the edge with time. But not all!​

Here in Wisconsin, the humidity makes a huge difference. We have twenty times the amount of water in the air in July than we do now in January. That leads to bite, gurgling, pouch storage, and other issues.​
    [​IMG]

5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I didnt like PA when I first had it. I didnt get any flavor...just an ashy taste. Fast forward nine months, and I smoke it everyday...I make it a rule never to write off a tobacco...even M79.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.