New blender for Dunhill?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DunhillMan, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DunhillMan

DunhillMan Member

R.L. Will: http://www.reinergenuss.de/contents.htm

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm not a big fan of most of the Dunhill tobaccos, either. 965 and Elizabethan were favorites and London Mixture was pretty good under Murray's blendership. Light Flake is decent. The rest of them never sat well with me.

Well aged Murray's-era London Mixture is awesome, though.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Well, I hate to be a rumormonger, but in this case, I'll report back what I've heard elsewhere. This could all be half-true or untrue, but it makes enough sense that I believe it.

Orlik exists only as a name, now, much like Rattray's (also a KK product out of Germany now) and brands like Freybourg and Treyer. Orlik was bought or merged into the humungous Scandinavian Tobacco Group and you can see here what their branding looks like:
    http://www.st-group.com/index.php/pipe-tobacco/complete-brand-list

No dunhill stuff mentioned.

So I'm thinking that like so many other things, someone somewhere looked at the profit lines, the distribution, etc etc and decided that it wasn't worth it to manufacture tobaccos under the Dunhill license. And that wouldn't be surprising. If you sell Golden Sliced, Escudo, the Stokkebye Line, all the Larsen tobaccos, etc, I can see Standard Mixture Medium being down the list by about 800 places.

If Rudiger Will et al think it's worthwhile to blend and sell the stuff, more power to 'em.

I'm thinking of boycotting STG's stuff because they make Clan and Borkum Riff: they obviously hate pipe smokers. :)

Wicklow, HCraven and DunhillMan like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Maybe they will bring back the Elizabethan Mixture - and maybe it will be as good. Hey, I can hope...can't I?

dmkerr likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Right there with ya!

6. DunhillMan

DunhillMan Member

:haha: Really they do!

Anyway, I readed somewhere (maybe in p i p e s m a g a z i n e, but unsure about that) that Dunhill tobaccos are not produced under license by STS-Orlik. They are
    a custom production for the owner of the brand.

7. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

But STG's pipe tobacco is produced in the Orlik factory so those brands have continuity and IMO that's HUGE in anything where taste is involved. There is a lot of contract production and distribution in the tobacco world and I have heard some of K&K's production is outsourced to Orlik/STG. The thing that got me wondering about Dunhill production is the I see them listed on K&K's site but that might be as the German distributor. :confused:

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

C&D flakes are pressed bt STG i believe...

Ed
    Puff

9. KevinP

KevinP Member

As someone who once smoked Dunhill tobacco almost exclusively, with just the occasional excursion for a change of pace, I find this good news. I've been very underwhelmed by their line since its return.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I smoked Dunhill blends " back in the day " ... I tried GAF not long ago and think it's one of the best blends out there . You guys might laugh but the Sutliff No. 5 blend is pretty damn good for a 965 type match . I wont lose sleep but will be pissed if GAF goes away

11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the No. 5, tastes like an English with all the additives and none of the pleasant flavors of their Aros to me, but that just means more for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.