New guy here. hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Black Adam, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Adam

Black Adam Member

Hello folks. I am completely new to pipe smoking and am very excited to be involved in such an interesting pastime. I recently ordered a Savinelli Churchwarden Smooth pipe # 601.
    [​IMG]

I have always been fascinated by pipe smoking so I decided to take the plunge big time. I do have a question about tobacco though. It seems like I have a lot to learn about all of this. What tobacco blend is good for a complete newbie? I ordered 2 oz of Adirondack Gold Pipe Tobacco because the website said it was their most popular blend, plus it has a vanilla aroma, which does interest me. I have smelled pipe smoke before and I do really enjoy the aromatic smell of vanilla. Did I make a good choice or is there something even better out there for a new guy to try. I live in Iowa City and we do have a few nice tobacco shops around so I do have options other that the internet.

Thanks for the help :)

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Welcome aboard! It looks like you got a good pipe for sure. I can't say much about that blend as I've never tried it. Most new pipe smokers start with an aromatic, but it's not a rule. What I would recommend you do is go back to your shop, and see if they have a sampler pack of several blends you could try. You didn't mention if you've actually smoked a bowl yet, so let me recommend this advice, load it no more than half way the first few bowls without packing it too hard, tamp lightly when needed, and puff slowly (called sipping) minimize the risk of overheating, and tongue bite. Also, it would be a wise idea to let some of your tobacco air dry for at least 30 minutes before smoking it to also minimize the chance of bite. Happy puffing!

Capt likes this.
  3. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

I would say try as many different kinds as you can. You will find what you like. I quickly gave up aro's as I tend to smoke fast and they were biting my tongue a bit. But that doesn't mean they aren't right for you. I have found a few that I enjoy now, but much prefer other styles. It took me a few tries to find something I liked. Reading what other were smoking on here helped out a lot. I still find myself trying out new stuff constantly. My favorite 2 blends are OGS (Orlik Golden Sliced) and FMOTB (Frog Morton On the Bayou) so I recommend everyone try those when they get a chance. But as I said, everyone has their own preferred pipe blends, and there is no shortage of tobacco to try out. Have fun with it, if you don't like one blend try another. And welcome!

4. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Hello and Welcome!:D

5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Welcome to the forum.. it looks like you're off to a fine start with that pipe. I can only second what the others have said. Try, multiple blends. You're going to be shocked with all of the choices. If you can; order a sampler from somewhere.
    Good luck and don't give up, you're bound to find a blend you're going to like

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi and welcome to the forum! Enjoy exploring the wonderful world of tobacco and pipes!:bing:

7. qwik

qwik Member

Great folks and informative site, Welcome

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Nice pipe.

I'd recommend avoiding that particular aromatic, since many pipe shop aromatics can be pretty syrupy and goopy and if you order it on-line you have no way of knowing if this blend is one of them. (Just because it's their #1 seller doesn't mean it's really all that good). Give something like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (SWRA) or Middleton's Cherry Blend a try instead.

SWRA is a light aromatic blend, and has a wonderful room note and flavor. The flavoring agent is applied with a light hand, and the blend strikes a good balance between the Burley tobacco base and the flavoring agent. It has kind of a chocolate-like aroma that most bystanders find very pleasing, and a good tobacco base that many pipe smokers (even those who are not fans of aromatics) enjoy. It's one of my favorites, anyway. Middleton Cherry Blend is another mild aromatic that is very nice, and another one of my favorites. The cherry flavoring is very light, yet it is very pleasing to bystanders. Again, it will allow you to really enjoy the tobacco base - which is Burley and Cavendish. I don't think it's as good as SWRA, but SWRA isn't something I'd want as a daily smoke either; however, Cherry Blend is.

SWRA and Cherry Blend have a pretty strong following here on PSF, they're relatively inexpensive, and generally easy to find. You can often find them locally in a grocery or drug store, or even at a "tobacco shop." However, if all else fails you can order them on line (pouch, tub, or sleeve of pouches) from vendors like Mars Cigars or Cup O Joe. I think even Milan Tobacco carries these blends.

Anyway, welcome aboard and happy smoking.

9. Black Adam

Black Adam Member

I haven't even recived my pipe yet, so no, I haven't smoked out of it. I feel that this is something I am really going to enjoy doing, so I decided to buy a really nice pipe. I didn't want to get a cheap one and have a bad first expierence. I am super excited to get it though. :) And I am excited to be a part of this community. So many nice people here. Cheers!

10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Welcome aboard!

11. el guero

el guero Member

Welcome, from another relative newcomer. This hobby can be addictive and these guys with enable every step along the way, but the way I see that it is a good thing.

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Welcome.

You got a lovely pipe but it might be a handful for starting out. Maybe not. I do hope you remembered to get some extra-long pipecleaners for the churchwarden because you will need 'em.

13. Black Adam

Black Adam Member

It might be a handful, but I acted like a child and bought the one I really wanted. lol. I have some wizard in my soul, so it had to be a Churchwarden for sure.

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

As should we all.

Basic "BEWARE". New pipes may smoke a bit wet and gurgle until they break in a bit - churchwardens more so. Swabbing out a stem still fixed on the pipe, mid-smoke, is a common thing to de-moisturize the stem and bottom portion (heel) of the bowl. But ya gotta have the pipecleaners - churchwardens more so. Beware removing the stem on any hot or warm pipe - it's easy to break something - churchwardens more so. As a matter of common practice for most pipes, stems twist out (and then back in) while turning the stem in a clockwise direction. Remove a cool stem, only when you must, with a gentle clockwise twist, keeping everything straight and in line as you pull it free from the shank. Beware a stem stuck in a shank. Never force one if it's more than a bit tight - there are ways to free them without over-torqueing.

That pipe is really handsome. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

15. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.
    A churchwarden is a handful (literally) for a beginner. They can be a bit unwieldy unless you're sitting down. Still....a very nice pipe.

As for tobaccos, and this is just one old fart's opinion, but starting with a house-blend aromatic is often the downfall of a new piper. These are usually heavy with propylene glycol (PG) which makes them goopy and difficult to smoke for the inexperienced. A newby will tend to puff too hard and fast...this over-heats the goopy tobacco causing steam, which causes "tongue bite"...a burning sensation on the tongue and palate. If this occurs, you're smoking too fast. Slow down....sip.

You will have lots of relights for a while, until you figure out the proper cadence....which BTW, differs between tobaccos. Sounds complicated, huh? LOL Don't panic....with time and practice, it will work itself out, and suddenly you will have one of those "oh yeah!" moments when it all comes together.

As others have suggested, look for a burley like SWR or maybe a good Virginia tobacco...I would suggest trying McClelland Frog Morton on the Bayou. This is actually a Va/Per...Virginia Perique blend....sweet with a touch of spice. It's a great introduction to "Classic" tobaccos.

While you're shopping for new tobaccos, pick up a couple of those cheap-assed Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes....they're ugly as a mud fence, but practically smoke themselves. Make sure they're MM pipes and not some Chinese knock-off. And....you need to build a quick rotation. A pipe needs to rest....smoke it for a day or two, then let it rest and dry out for three-four days.

We'll let it go at that for now.....have fun with your new hobby/affliction...when you hit a bump, and you will, ask. That's what we're here for.

16. Black Adam

Black Adam Member

Well, it's finally on it's way. I want to thank everyone for the good advice. Maybe the Churchwarden is a bit much, but it is the one I had to have. I didn't realize that you had to let your pipe take a break, so that is definitely good advice. I'll have to go and get myself a corncob for my off days, or until I buy another pipe. I believe that I will try McClelland Frog Morton on the Bayou because I do see a lot of folks bringing it up as a good tobacco. I picked up some SWR also, mainly because it was easy to find. My pipe can't get here fast enough. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

17. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Hope you enjoy it! :bing:

18. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

Welcome to the brotherhood. As has been mentioned, most beginners start with aromatics and many of them end up disappointed. The key is starting with a good quality aromatic. One that actually tastes like it smells in the tin and burns dry and consistent without a lot of moisture. For that, your best bet is to stick to tinned aromatics. They tend to be much higher quality as a general rule. My recommendations would be aromatics from Dan Tobacco like DaVinci or Blue Note or Reiner's Professional. All three are great tobaccos that behave very well and should minimize beginner frustrations. Good luck and stick with it. It's worth it.

19. Capt

Capt Active Member

Welcome to PSF. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions, you'll get great advice for sure.

20. Black Adam

Black Adam Member

Thanks for the advice Wayne. I ordered both DaVinci and Blue Note. I'll let you know how it goes. 8D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.