1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Guy here. Need some help to id a pipe.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by mitch, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitch

mitch Member

Hello. I started smoking pipes 2 years ago. I then fell out of it for a year. My first pipe my wife bought for me at a pipe shop here in chicago. I then bought a Erik Nording frehand (my baby). The a obtained a meer. Here are a few pics.
    here is the Nording
    [​IMG]
    Here is the meer
    [​IMG]
    And my first i would like to get some info on. It reads President and I believe under it "Grant". On the opposite side it reads "italy 61"
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._464108633232_513848232_5557796_4722899_n.jpg

2. mitch

mitch Member

Wow. Sorry about the typing. I Tried typing from my phone. Thats pretty hard to read. Here is the last picture
    [​IMG]

3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I'm a meerschaum nut...really like that reverse claw. Is there a signature on the pipe or a name in the case?
    The Nording is a great blast..nice plateau top. As for the other one...no help but it has some sweet birds eye on that side.
    That greenish patina on the vulcanite stems isn't good though...will leave a foul taste in your mouth after a bit. You might consider giving them a good cleaning and polishing.

Welcome to the nut-house! Stick around, there are some great folks here...very knowledgeable when it comes to the hobby.

4. mitch

mitch Member

The meer is a Paykoc from Turkey. Yeah My pipes have been sitting for a year. Just getting back in to it. I was searching the kitchen for some olive oil so i could clean it up but the wife used it all.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

The olive oil is used after the elbow work is done. Try using some toothpaste for now. If the oxidation is just on the surface, that should do the trick. if not, you may need to do heavy duty bleaching...

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome!

Nice looking pipes - nice to see them back in service. My friend Chuck (Accaciavet) gave me a great tip for shifting oxidisation from vulcanite or ebonite stems - Barkeeper's Friend.

You simply wet a cloth, shake some of the powder onto it and rub away gently. After use wipe the stem over with a wet cloth. - it does a great job. You can finish off the stem with any kind of polish or oil you prefer - I simply rub beeswax on mine and then polish up with a brush and finish off with a soft lint free cloth.

Gerry

7. mitch

mitch Member

Wow Bar Keepers friend worked like a charm! After a good cleaning with it, I then rubbed regular chapstick on the vulcanite. Now I just need to hit the pipe shop to pick up some tobacco and a few czech tools. Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.