1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

New Job

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Anthony J, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony J

Anthony J Member

Well, I was going to apply for a job at a local retail outlet, but apparently my uncle who owns a construction, auto repair, and demolition business (and really anything else you can think of that involves manual labor) needed somebody. Since I can already operate an excavator, and a lot of the work is around a horse barn (and I've had horses all my life), I got drafted into it. I learned mig and tig welding this morning. Later this week I'm learning how to put up insulation.

Pays $2 an hour more than my last job, and gives me far more convenient hours. Instead of working 3-9, I'm working 8AM to 4PM or I get off early/late depending on what kind of work I'm doing. Kind of satisfying, actually building things, rather than just cleaning up after other people all day. Pretty laid back around the shop - I can smoke my pipe while I work if I don't have a hood/mask on or work with flammable gasses.

2. TWolf

TWolf Member

Congratulations! Sounds like a good arrangement for you. It does feel good to step back and see that you actually built/created/accomplished something. And, you're learning new stuff. Cool.

3. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

Congrats on the new job! And the opportunity to smoke your pipe

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ummmm Demolition ... I like it !

Good on ya , man !

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

If you learned mig and tig welding in one morning you're a genius.

CONGRATULATIONS on the job. Sounds like it is a good fit for you. Lucky man.

Tsal, Old Ted and 5H4N3 like this.
  6. Anthony J

Anthony J Member

Learning and being decent at are different things haha. Some of my tig welds were just unacceptable. I hope it gets a lot better as I do it more.

7. Marker

Marker Active Member

Welding is one thing that will always get better with time and practice. Even after 20 years you can learn more about welding and do a better job.

Tsal and dwaugh like this.
  8. User3940

User3940 Active Member

You know what they say..."practice makes perfect". I would love to learn mig and tig. But then I would have to outfit my workshop so that I could use the newly acquired skill to make lawn ornaments. :xd:

9. Archi77

Archi77 Member

Congrats on the new job. Always good to go to bed with sore muscles, knowing you accomplished something.

10. Moose

Moose Active Member

Congrats on the new job. Nothing wrong with working hard for a living, a feeling of satisfaction on a completed job is priceless.

Rickpal14 likes this.
  11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

and it's nice being retired and sitting around all day smoking and looking at ....PSF! :ohyh:

Tsal, jpberg, Moose and 1 other person like this.
  12. Moose

Moose Active Member

Are you watching me OT??!!

It's a tough life if you don't weaken :old:

Old Ted and Brit abroad like this.
  13. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

Congrats on your new job! Sounds like a far better arrangement than the other one. Now you just have to prove your uncle right for hiring you.
    Rodney

14. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Congratulations!

15. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

:thu2: Congratulations.

16. Tony Bybee

Tony Bybee Member

welding is a skill that will serve you well. enjoy the new experience.

17. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

I'm going to stick my oar in, even though you didn't ask for advice: Learn every skill that you can beg, bribe or threaten someone to teach you. Not just operating equipment, building, repairing, making things, all the jobs that leave physical evidence that you did something. Learn planning, scheduling, cost estimation and business finances as well. You can lose things but knowledge stays with you.

18. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

Any job where you learn new skills is a great thing. To have variety day-to-day also keeps boredom from setting in. And to be able to smoke yer pipe too? Where do I sign up??

19. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

Congrats!!

20. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

Last year at my place of employment I got to witness some Demo, where they used those giant track hoes with the claws. I could see getting a certain satisfaction out of pulling down whole structures and shearing huge I-beams with one of those. :bing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.