1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Kaywoodie Looking For Some Advice.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by chud333, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chud333

chud333 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought this kaywoodie at a local antique store for ten bucks. It smells pretty musty and needs some serious cleaning I think. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this pipe. I have read some of the threads about dating and was not sure about some of the things. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Wildcat likes this.
  2. chud333

chud333 Member

Looks like all my picture links are broken sorry still trying to get the hang of that. The pipe says flamegrain on top of kaywoodie. The other side says imported briar over the number 85 there is a three leaf clover in silver with a white background. The stinger says drink and under the word drink is I think rfg #07 could be something else it is very hard to read. Any help anyone has would be appreciated.

3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Nice pipe, I gotta start hitting some shops, I cant find anything that cheap online.
    Wiser minds will be by soon enough. ;)

chud333 likes this.
  4. chud333

chud333 Member

Thanks

5. chud333

chud333 Member

I'm happy it's my first find anywhere that is not a pipe shop they had that pipe a terrible looking homemade thing that was falling apart and a yellobole pouch with some accessories I'm thinking of going back and getting if they are still there

6. Thuber88

If its cheap enough, grab it, even if you find a crap pipe that would be a toss in the trash, if its briar, its worth having to practice restoration on, and different treatments and finishes, without messing up or ruining a good smoker.
    Accessories can be cheap or expensive, and you can always use spares, any pouch that holds tobacco(as long as the liner isn't cracked) is a lot better than a baggy to hold your tobacco when your out and about or in the woods.
    I would take a look and grab it all, and always ask if there is any other stuff they forgot to put out yet, Sometimes there is that shoe box in the corner with gold inside of it, but they forgot about it, because not too many pipe people come in.;)

KingsTarantula likes this.
  7. chud333

chud333 Member

Yeah I will be going back for the bag with the pouch and accessories as for the other pipe I wish I had a picture. Ill grab it if its cheap. If only to show off here because it looks super crazy at least to me. Like decaying fence post.

8. Thuber88

I used to grab junky free computers, just for the screws, there might always be a value to something if you can see it hiding inside, like a practice refinishing pipe for under 5 bucks, so you can not make mistakes on a nicer one.
    Rustication is just one example, it makes it handy to plot,plan and try your ideas out on scrap briar.

9. chud333

chud333 Member

You sold me I will buy it. If its junk i will practice on it that's a pretty good idea.

Thuber88 likes this.
  10. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

That's a sweet deal on a briar pipe you got there. Don't know anything about it but if I saw it i'd have bought it too. Let us know how it smokes when you get around to it. :th1:

11. chud333

chud333 Member

I've found looking online that the flame grain has been made since 1937 to today. Still trying to find more info on the internets but there does not seem to be a lot out there on kaywoodie.

Thuber88 likes this.
  12. bosun

bosun Active Member

From my notes:

Logos, both round and white were on top of the stem until the late 1940's, after which they were moved to the side of the stem.

1938 - The Flame Grain was introduced as the new Top Of The Line. The Flame Grain was the first pipe to have the black cloverleaf in the white circle. The Flame Grains of 1938 did not have 4-digit numbers.

1950 nomenclature change.
    Kaywoodie changed the stamping of its’ Nomenclature to put the Company Name (“KAYWOODIE”) on top and over the rest of the Nomenclature (so “Super Grain” over “KAYWOODIE” was replaced by “KAYWOODIE” over “Super Grain”.

So roughly, sounds like it could be between 1938 and 1949!

Wildcat, psquared, chud333 and 2 others like this.
  13. chud333

chud333 Member

Thanks that's a great help gonna try to restore it it does not look too bad really needs a cleaning the bottom of the bowl is reddish. Again thanks best I could find was a video on YouTube that helped me date it before 1955.

14. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

Bosun, thanks for the info. Did the arrangement of the "nomenclature" apply to all lines of Kaywoodie pipes? I have several of the Hand Made models, believe some of them may date to the late 40's. A couple of these are really good smoking pipes. Thanks for the information about them.

Stinger

KingsTarantula likes this.
  15. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

16. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

For good info on restoration (besides the advice you can find here) browse through this site...

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

Steve Laug is a master. I have several of his restores.

Wildcat and derrickyoung like this.
  17. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Great find

18. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

I'd say that's a pretty damn good find, enjoy it

19. bosun

bosun Active Member

Again, from my notes. Most of the information available seems to be anecdotal, meaning someone was told and it has become a popular fact (g), so there doesn't seem too much info that can be considered hard and fast. As far as I know, the Kaywoodie over quality line was for all pipes was put into effect in 1950. That said:

Handmade Drinkless Kaywoodie – standard shape……………WWII
    Handmade Super Grain Kaywoodie – standard shape…………WWII
    Handmade or Handmade Super Grain – oversize………………1947

Handmades old style 1946-1955, but maybe even earlier in the 40's when clean briar was not available during the war

Handmades- new era 1998 to present

WW2 war years pipes. Aluminum was rationed during the war, so when existing stocks of aluminum parts were used up, Kaywoodie came with push tenons. A 1941 31 day set that I have seen came with a sign that said something along the lines of "This 1941 Kaywoodie Matched Grain set uses no aluminum to help the war effort" The problem was also getting briar. While the company had enormous stockpiles of wood, the best, used in Kaywoodie production was being used up. Its during this time I believe the Handmade line may have started, using the wide gouge carve the company could use wood with surface flaws that could just be carved out. (Info from KWGuy)

So there you have what I have. Look at what you have and try to come up with an identification.

20. bosun

bosun Active Member

P.S.
    The Handmade I have is marked Hand Made over Super Grain over Kaywoodie, with the uncircled KW logo on the side of the stem, syncrostem (screw fitting between stem and shank) and a four hole stinger with word "drinkless" stamped on it. The word drinkless was stopped after 1941, so that puts my pipe early 1940's, assuming they used up their stocks of stingers and syncrostem fittings and had to go back to a push tenon! I feel like Sherlock Holmes sometime (g)..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.