New Lane(Denmark) produced Five Bros. first impressions.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by yinyang, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

(Not a review, per se.)

I recall the discussion, but I don't know if anyone here has received any...yet. I was at the mall tonight:( and lo and behold!, the temporary draught of Five Bros. ended. The cigar joint had a handful of Five Bros. pouches...the new production.

First off, the plain paper bag design is intact. The Pinkerton script scrapped for an overseas 'Lane' seems the only difference. But....instead of it being the usual 'chaw' bag, aluminized paper, it's the paper laminated with plastic, more like the current SWR. Unlike SWR, Though, this Five Bros. is packed rather neatly rectangular in a block sorta way...nice.

Wrapper schmapper, I paid for the weed. At the same pre-2012 price, ($2.79 here),and same quantity, 1.25oz., at least inflation hasn't taken hold, thankfully. I opened the pouch with some trepidation, as we all know how these 'venue changes' seem to alter blends. Luckily, thin stringy shag was what I saw, and that abandoned hay loft smell is still the same.

There are, however, two noticeable differences...if only small. One is birdseye abounds in this first pouch opened. If it is like this in the others, it is a departure from the usual light occurance i'm used to seeing. The second is it's moist!(...for a shag, for this shag.) It clumps! Cool.

The weather is crummy out, so I probably won't bother trying it tonight, but I'm curious to see if there are diiferences, good or bad, where the rubber meets the road...in the smoking. Will see...

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Wow, Five brothers moist. -David

Rewster66 likes this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I have three pouches and I am about halfway through the first. I never knew the original incarnation, but I like the stuff. Mine came pretty darn dry, but with lots of birdseye. I assume the birdseye is common given your description. It's good stuff...let us know if you notice any difference in flavor when you try it!

4. yinyang

This new stuff has more birdseye than G&H Dark Birdseye...the old Five Bros. had less.

The moisture thing is relative...this new iteration is dry, but side by side with the old pouches, it is positively damp. I'm of course making observations on one limited little pouch...time will tell. And of course the smoking.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Thanks for the info YY!

6. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I see only one problem, it is still Five Brothers.:)

Ted Vig likes this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Unless you have the nicotine tolerance of your average three year old girl, I can't see any faults with Five Brothers :)

Great, natural, burley flavor, no bite, nice and strong, pleasant enough aroma...what's not to like? Sure the shag CAN burn fast and hot, so you just have to compensate with how you smoke it and voila! No problem :)

8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Now I'm curious and being a burley lover.:puffy:

9. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I noticed the labels on my Half and half has changed... and packaging as well. It's carrying the Lane name now.. Pretty sure it wasn't Lane's not too long ago. Also the usual very thin stringy cut seems alittle bulkier now. Maybe its just me.. tastes the same though.

10. yinyang

I've been busy this weekend, but a couple small clay pipe's worth is telling me that there is a difference, however small. Dunno if it's the extra moisture, extra leaf 'ribs'(birdseyes), or an unknown variable, but it's not quite the same, it's...better! Less 'monolithic' and 'rough-hewn', more 'approachable' and 'refined'(by slight degrees). It will take me more time(or others' opinions) to peg it, but it's....more, somehow.

dwaugh likes this.
  11. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I got a pack of the new stuff the other week,still don't like it.

12. yinyang

Yeah, but do you detect a difference?

Elwin likes this.
  13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Well, it couldn't hardly get any worse.;)

Rewster66 likes this.
  14. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

And the Rewster said........ Amen.;)

15. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I picked up two sample packages at the Lane table at the St.Louis show. Although I haven't smoked any as yet I did empty them in a jar. The only difference I noted was that the aroma was fresher than what I had fron the KY plant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.