1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

new meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dubhdarra, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

so i recently got a new meerschaum. beautiful pipe, though the tenon seems a little... different... to me where it goes into the stem (either its not a standard del-rin tenon or its mounted wrong, not sure which. any rate, great smoker only one problem.

when its NOT lit this pipe smells VILE. no joke, burning plastic. figured it had something to do with the tenon burning, but its not at all charred, and i checked, there was no dottle visible in it. it just smelled like unholy vile bitter crap about five minutes after it gets tapped out, and the smell does not dissipate.

any ideas?

2. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Nope. I got a meer in the US in 03, I don't know what brand it is but it smells weird in an unusual way after it's empty. I don't know what this is but today I tried a new Falcon meer bowl and that's the same. So maybe it's just that Meers smell different to briars. I'm not learned in Meers enough to say and I can't put my finger on the smell.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Liam this can happen - I'm not sure whether it's the subtances the pipe is treated with or to do with from where the meer was dig up I don't know - but it will dissipate in time.

Rhona comissioned me a pair of carved meerschaums for my birthday; Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. Other than the taste of a new meer and its waxing the Watson was imacculate in its behaviour and "nose" - the Holmes on the other side smelled like it had been dug out from under the familly latrine or the town cesspit - 100% ****!

I got so embarrassed smoking it that I only went outside to smoke it - despite the smell it tasted fine! When I brought it in and parked it in the office we had to keep the window open and spray the room with air freshener regularly. After about 3 -4 weeks the smell lessened and then went away completely.

On the stem to pipe join - it has been truly posted that there are meers and meers and that it is best to stick with a good carver.

Best to all, and hope the situation soon improves

Gerry

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

I had a rather expensive "big" name meerschaum that smelled foul. It was a per-colored job. What I discovered was that the pipe wasn't sealed properly when dipped into the bees wax, so naturally some of the wax leaked into the shank and bottom of the bowl. I actually had to to scrap that crap out with dental tool and alcohol. After considerable time the pipe smoked just okay - never did smoke good.

So when I see a pre-colored meerschaum pipe I cringe! I can still imagine that horrid smell and taste. Never again - I learned my lesson. They have some weird stuff over in Turkey and most carvers/sellers don't smoke a pipe, so naturally they don't give a rats ass how the pipe smells or tastes. Who knows what they added to the bees wax to color it and make it smell so rotten? They'll never fess up either.... goat pee? :thumbsd:

Good Luck,

Will

BTW, Most meerschaum pipes will smell a little off for the first dozen smokes - but it should not be offensive. Also, there should be no wax in the stem or bowl - zip, nadda,

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

That's right, even meers have a "Break-in" period... but if it lasts more than ten bowls, there could be something rotten in Denmark.

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

so i figured out the problem. it IS a del-rin tenon, its just stuck, and its one of the big ones. i managed to pull it out of the stem, scuzzed it out (it had an unholy mix of latakia, black xx twist and irish flake bits stuck in it with a mix of tar). there is a slight smell to the actual meerschaum part, but the source of the stench was certainly the inside of the tenon.

thanks for the help though guys!

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

What? How the heck did unburnt tobacco get from the bowl, though the shank and into the stem? :dunno:

Almost sounds like the pipe was loaded rectally. :eek:hyeah:

Will

8. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Na, Will, I bet Liam was smoking the pipe upside down. It can happen.
    :roflmao:

9. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

Oh my God! :0laugh:
    I have a Meer, that has somewhat of a different smell, not so much of a bad smell, just sort-of different. Almost kinda almondy/peroxide-ish.
    The smoke on the other hand - tends to be a little sour sometimes. Im trying to figure that out, I cleaned out the stem real good, and found a spot on the stem opening, where tar was getting trapped - I repaired the stem and cleared the opening a bit, and Im about to go test it here in just a little bit.
    I bought mine online - with the initials M.Y. on the bottem, I haven' really looked it up.
    Im gonna load a bowl of PA and see how she does.

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

Whoa! Almond odor? Cyanide smells like almonds! :startle: It tends to accumulate in the system so it will take awhile to kill you....

Will

11. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Always the conspiracy theorist....ehh Will? :xd:

12. WillH

WillH Active Member

Naw....just sharing info! :whistle:

Will

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

The man's got a heart of gold...... :roflmao:

14. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Someone could be doping the pipe... The little woman perhaps :whistle:
    Poisoning by pipe.

I gather from the posts that Meers do smell a bit different for a while so I will persist a bit longer as I've only used mine half a dozen times.
    Cheers.

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

Or, let's not forget the girl friend! Seems one of those rescued Chilean miners discoved the joys of keeping a mistress! :whistle:

Remember Turkey is a third world country an they have different rules - the first of which is, "there are no rules". There's so much crap printed about meerschaum pipes it frustrating. They need "seasoning" similar to breaking in a briar pipe, they ghost some. Meerschaum pipe shouldn't be smoked continuously, as advertised, as that softens the meerschaum - they need drying after smoking like any pipe!

Deal with a solid pipe dealer! No problems. Deal with some high strung Turkish artist type trying extract as much money from you as possible and you'll get burned. That's a fact! Also everyone over there has a brother, cousin, uncle or dad whose carving meerschaum pipes and most are junk.

Pretty tough to believe all the stories the tell. I had a lady contact me with a story about her brother who worked as an engineer and carved meerschaum pipes to make a living. Either he wasn't and a good engineer or he wasn't a good pipe carver. She told me she was a professor at a university. I contacted the university and she wasn't faculty there! No surprise.

Protect your self by dealing with good solid dealers who have solid track records.

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.