1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Missouri Meerschaum Hardwoods

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Nuck81, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

So my pre-order from Aristocob came in today of the new MM Maple Pipes.

These are the bigger pipes based off the Gentleman and Diplomat. I only ordered a bent and straight Gentleman this time. I haven't smoked them and took pics straight from the box.

They are the same size as the original cobs, have a natural finish and a light sheen of plaster in light.

Iphone quality pics. I did the best I could.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next to their Cob brethren, same size as pre drought cobs.

[​IMG]

And now comes the "oopsie" The shank on the Bent Maple is split on both sides all the way through.

[​IMG]

Tough to see from the pic, but you can see the black of the bit through the split on this side.

[​IMG]

Camera didn't want to focus but the split is clear through the shank.

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if it didn't happen from the weather? It was extremely dry and cold when it was mailed (Friday I think) and it was rainy, 60 degrees, and incredibly humid today. Could the extreme change in weather and humidity this weekend have caused it to split? It's been traveling by post and I'm sure wasn't protected from temperature change.

Also I don't think it's smokable this way. I was going to smoke one and leave the other unsmoked as a collectable. I guess I know which it will be now.

2. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Loading with Carter Hall as I type. Will give a first impression smoke paragraph shortly....

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  3. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I'd send the cracked on back asap.... you dont want to end up a crack smoker

4. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Send it back,get a new one,if the next one is cracked then there is problems.

5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I'm with the others...I'd send it back.

6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Or pimp it up with some Alabama Chrome.:ohyh:

7. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Nice pipes! I don't know how bad the crack is but you could always have Doug customise it for you... Love my cob warden he did so I don't mind giving him a shameless plug! ;)

8. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I'm impressed with the one I see on his Etsy account.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  9. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

So how did she smoke?

Shawn

10. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

I've only smoked the straight.

I took out the filter and it is an EXTREMELY open smoke. This makes an unfiltered cob feel like smoking through a collapsed straw, so you get a LOT of smoke even with slight pulls.

That being said, it doesn't get any hotter than normal, and it does a great job with moisture, no gurgles or build up like you would see in a briar.

The first few smokes it did give off a pretty strong woody flavor, and it's still there even after four bowls or so.

It doesn't have the charm of a cob, and it feels lighter and less solid than a briar does, but it doesn't smoke poorly.

Definitely not my favorite pipe, and I think if there was the hardwood or a true cob Gentleman sitting next to each other, I'd probably go ahead and reach for the cob.

11. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

Thank you for that, That makes me want to just stick to my Cobs.

Shawn

12. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Same. Thanks for your thoughts! I'll get one eventually, but it won't be a top priority.

13. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Sounds like it would make for a great yardpipe,how much difference is there compared to the MM Ozarks?

Wildcat likes this.
  14. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

+1

15. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

I've never smoked an ozark.

But they are the exact same size as their cob brethren.

I think they Ozarks are pretty small?

16. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

From your pictures they look almost alike,the new hardwoods looking fancier then the Ozarks.

17. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

I've got the older version bent and a mini. Never a bad smoke in either one, never even a slight gurgle like a briar or cherrywood.
    For 6 and 3 dollars a piece I smoke them dang things like I stole 'em and beat them around the farm like a bad habit.
    I like the look of the new bent one.....
    pad pad pad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.