1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

New MM Freehand

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BobJ, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobJ

BobJ Member

I received my new MM Freehand from Walker Briar Works yesterday. What a great pipe! I am very pleased. It's the best pipe I've tried and is now my favorite.

Make no mistake ... this is a big bowl pipe. The first time I looked down into the bowl I said "wow", and I swear I heard an echo. It also puts a serious dent in my bacy supply everytime I fill it up.

It makes me want to get a coon skin hat and play some wangy music. I decided the wallet could not bear the cost of a Peterson - even the estate ones - so I decided to go with a top of the line cob and it was an excellent decision. I REALLY like this thing.

I got super quick delivery from Dave Walker and the shipping was only $4.00 ... great service. I do want to order the upgraded lucite stem for it and then I can take it to the Hillbilly Ball.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I love how those things look. I got a big cob comin' in the mail too, courtesy of PtM here. Can't wait!

3. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have a MM freehand Cob and i just LOVE!!!!!!! to smoke it, the freehand cob should be in every single pipe smokers collection.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yeah, for around 30$ US, they're hard to beat.

5. doc_jude

doc_jude Member

why can't they make a stem band for the Freehand? :dunno:

6. cellophane

cellophane Member

The lucite stems Walker makes are the jam. I ordered one over christmas and love it. Their shipping is also insanely fast. Even over the holidays I got my order in something like 2 days.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I've asked MM directly and the response was that the way the shank is shaped, it would be too costly. (I beg to differ, a pipe that can't be smoked is NOT a pipe!) Well the shank friction fit joint mortise-tapered tenon and the SOFT pine used is what sets this wonderful smoking pipe on a failure course.

What I do to remedy this shortcoming is I break the pipe down and gently separate the shank (MM calls it the "stem".......don't know why they call it that) from the cob. I then slide a "split keyring" (ACE Hardware or any place keys are sold) that's about the same size as the taper of the Freehand shank where it is about 1/2 inch from the stem end of the shank. Sliding the keyring towards the fatter end of the shank but not quite to the end (leave about 1/8 inch from the end. Once I'm happy with the keyring's position, I superglue it in place above and below the ring to lock it in place. Then elmers glue the shank back into the bowl and let her dry. Now the Almighty MM Freehand is all the pipe she was designed to be.........a huge wonderful smoker with NO Issues! IMO.

I used to use a cable "zip tie" for a quick fix and still have 2 CCSS cobs with zip ties holding the shanks.......nbut from here forward, it's the split keyring.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

8. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Puff, that's a great idea. I'm going to keep this post in mind when I get me a new MM freehand. Sounds great!

9. doc_jude

doc_jude Member

Okay, first off how do you do this "gently"? I don't tinker with my pipes, I just buy a new one if I have a problem.

The Elmers glue works fine? & do you know what MM uses to initially attach the stem to the bowl?

10. Puff The Magic

Doc, just wiggle (forcibly but gently) the shank back and forth so it breaks the simple glue (MM uses a multi purpose glue similar to elmer"s) bond between the cob & shank. When gluing back, don't use too much glue because you may have to break her down again someday...........I made this mistake before. I glued the joint so well that now I'll damage the cob trying to remove the shank now. I guess I can steam it to get the glue to release.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

11. Puff The Magic

OK, sorry for the extreme delay:

[​IMG]

Notice the split keyrings at the stem end of the shank........

here's a closer view of both:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ACE Hardware for the split keyrings, $0.35 ea.

Makes a wonderful pipe even that much better. At least it won't suffer from "Tom Sawyer's disease" ......... split shank! :D

Ed
    Puff

12. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I really like my Freehand. Unfortunately, since I don't have a freehand since my accident and it's too heavy to clinch, I've only smoked it once in the last month:(

Here's my solution to a possible split shank:
    [​IMG]

WyoBob

13. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

That's a bummer about your hand. I wish I had that skill, the wrap is beautiful.

14. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Thanks. The wrap was done when I had two good hands.:) It was done with the shank in the bowl and was a real pain. If I had it to do over again, I'd remove the shank.

WyoBob

15. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Hmm. So split shanks are a pretty common problem on those then?

16. Puff The Magic

Yes. I'd ordered CCSS Freehands from MM direct and 2 arrived with damage in shipping. So they sent out replacements and I split one of them just after I repaired it. it was a fall rather than forceful insertion of a tapered tenon in a pine wood tapered mortise......(sounds like cagematchsex right there I do believe {cue Larry the cable guy accent & mannerisms})

I was about to go to a custom made shank a la Hackert, his are oak. They used to be nickel collared/banded but now it's just oak. It's strong enough. Pine otoh is not strong at all so, unless MM comes out with a cure and I hear that they are working the issue now but inventory will have to clear before we start seeing any of them. Retro fitting would be too costly considering what MM actually gets per cob pipe. So patience pipers.......you'll be rewarded.......eventually.

A zip tie works instantly but I feel the best cure is a band for the shank. If they won't do a band, then a non-tapered joint with a shoulder at stem-shank area would prevent too much force on insertion .....;) still would be a weakjoint. Pine is pine.

MM Freehands are superb pipes, esp the naturals/CCSS.

Ed
    Puff

17. DocB

DocB Active Member

Nice looking pipes Gentlemen... Think I might have to have one for myself.

18. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Getting a Freehand for my Birthday..

19. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

those pipes are nekkid :old:

:ohyh:i love mine too, gonna have ta put a wippin on mine t' make 'er salty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.