1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Old Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Unforgivin, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I was sent this pipe as a gift that a friend in Florida picked up at an antique shop.

I have yet to find any markings of where or who it's from and when. I went over the whole outside with a magnifying glass and found nothing.

The stem did come apart at one time in it's life because if you hold it up to a light just right you can see they don't meet flush.

I've tried a few different ways to loosen it without any luck, but can run a pipe cleaner all the way through into the bowl....which by the way you have to take a loan out from the bank to fill!

It also doesn't seem to get as hot as my others when it's lit....and it will stay lit a loooooong time. So I'm wondering if maybe it's made of walnut or something.

Any way, it smokes great, and as long as it does I don't really care if I do get it apart.

Just thought you fella's might like to take a look.

mike.

http://pbckt.com/sN.dMvl

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

Mike,

That's a hefty looking little pipe, I like the carved rustication. Nice old pipe. :D

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Sure is different I'll say that, but it feels lite to the touch, and I can hold it in my mouth even without the dentures being in!

Little bugger looks like it weighs a ton but it doesn't. :bing:

4. Legend

Legend Member

The older briar feels really light, that's usual.

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Could be that's it. I know it fits me like it was made for me......I'm in love all over again! :thumbsup:

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

By the look of it you'd expect it'd be heavy yet from what you say it isn't - sometimes pipemakers do manage to square the circle and put in that bit of magic that makes a special pipe.

Glad your happy with it and wish you many years joy with it

Gerry

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Thanks Gerry. :scratchchin:

8. Patrick

Patrick Member

I like that shape and the carving. Do your fingers fit in the carved grooves when you're holding it?

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Looks like an old marxman . Alot of American makers back in the day would carve stuff like that and promote them as hand made . Looks like briar to me . Probably good old briar .Enjoy !

10. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

They don't exactly fit fingers but they are deep and long enough to where you can get a good grip from just about any angle, kind of like a non skid surface thing.

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Thanks, and I do. The mouth piece is another age give away. It's twice as wide and thick as the Dr, Grabow Savoy I have.....seems like it's made of something other then run of the mill plastic as well. Nothing that really stands out. Just that little bit of "different" there to get your attention.

12. piper965

piper965 Member

great looking pipe! I hope you enjoy it!

13. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Just a bit of an update.. I did finally get the stem off so I could clean it up good and see if there were any markings to see where it came from.

I got the damn thing hot enough to weld with and the little beastie turned out fairly easy. Nothing whatsoever written or stamped on it, and no filter (didn't think it did).

I ended up using a battery terminal cleaner on the hole to clean it out and can now take it apart for cleaning easy.

The only writing I found was on one of the bowl ribs on the very bottom. It's almost unreadable it's worn away, but with a good light and magnifying glass I can read "Imported Briar" engraved into it.

If it has a makers sig or stamp it's long since worn away.

14. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Looks like a nice pipe. I hope it gives you years of faithful service!

Bri2k

15. Legend

Legend Member

After looking at your pics I would say that the pipe is probably a Custombilt, or a copy of one. Try googling Custombit and compare some picks-you'll see what I mean.

16. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Didn't try "Custom built" but I did try an antique site, A place all about Marxman pipes, and several others. But I turn into a zombie after a couple hours on a computer.

They did have one in an old Marxman add that looked identicle except for the bit.

Not real worried about it but I love trying to solve these little mysteries of life.

I'll try custom built next time and see what I come up with....Thanks! :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.