1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New or Estate?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tudorp, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I was thinking about a poll, but I think there are so many reasons, and variable, it would be easier to read. besides I enjoy reading input.

Question: Do you prefer a new pipe, or a used estate pipe? Why?

This is of course the most probable popular answer is cost. But, I am interested in answers other than cost might be. Here is my take..

I prefer Estate for many reasons.. #1, I am a hopeless romantic, and like to think about who all has enjoyed the pipe, and the history of the pipe. #2, I love the flavor & smell of a well broken in seasoned pipe. #3, The ability to find pipes that aren't available any longer. #4, the hunt for my next beloved pipe. #5, Of course, paying $30 for a pipe that would have cost me over $100 new is always nice..

I simply love pipes that have been around a long time.

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Of course cost, like you mentioned is a huge factor. Being able to snag a great broken in pipe for a fraction of what it would cost new. But outside cost, yes I think the idea of "carrying on" the tradition of pipe smoking from one generation to another is a great idea. Like I told my wife after I bought an estate Savinelli Nonpareil. You know, just think of all the great bowls this person enjoyed in this pipe, all the wonderful things they saw, the fun times they had with it in their hands. And now, I get to start a new string of fun memories with this pipe. And once I am gone, some new person will get this pipe and carry on the tradition. There arent many things left in this world that are handed down from one person to another. And I think pipes are a tangible reminder of that.

3. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy Member

I prefer an experienced pipe (old used) as we use to call them. And its because of several reasons. 1. I hate breaking in a new pipe. 2. There cheaper 1/2 of the time. 3. Because I collect the old/vintage ones. 4. I love to restore them. I just like taking old and filthy pipes and making them look brand new, self satisfaction. The funkier the better.

Jussto likes this.
  4. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Then you'll love one I have from my Dad then. That thing is hammered... It smokes and is serviceable, and I smoke it every so often, but it surely is a relic, and looks like it used it as a garage tool as well as a pipe, lol.. But, it is one of my prized pipes.. ;)

5. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy Member

I've done a few like that. I've had several that took an hour just to clean the tar out of the shank and stem cause I don't have a tort nor wish to play with matches and alcohol together. So on with the Q-tip and pipe cleaner and alcohol. But they were well worth it and like yours are prized.

6. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I think my dad used the old one Im talking about as a screw driver, pry bar, and a hammer as well as a smoker for many years.. hahhah..

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

While I own several estates, I truly enjoy receiving
    a pristine pipe that I get to break in. I am the one
    who gets to put the initial character into it.

Rewster66 and CalPiper like this.
  8. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

No better feeling than being someones first.....;)

9. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

To be honest, I have never had a new pipe, so every one since my first one, which was given to me by my dad, has been an estate. I think its a mixture of a lot of aspects - but there is something about finding a great deal on a used estate, and giving it a new home... I'm a firm believer that a pipe is meant for smoking, not for sitting in some display case. So I vote for estates! Course I wouldn't say no to a new one, but until that day comes...

10. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I like estates because because I love the hunt for a diamond in the rough. Through the years I've bought many 100 dollar new pipes and while a few have been good smokers there hasn't been any exceptional ones, about 1 in 10 of the cheap estates I pick up off ebay has been exceptional. typically 2 or 3 more are good smokers and a couple more are good enough for emergency smokers and get tossed in a golf bag or glovebox. the rest go in a junk box. There is nothing better than discovering a gem for less than 20 bucks. Plus it's already go a few dings so I don't feel bad about the abuse I tend to heap on my "out and about" pipes.

CalPiper and Vaquero like this.
  11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Not to sound hokey, but for me it is a relationship thing. An estate and I bond while I clean, scrub, sand, buff, and polish it into a proud shining piece of briar and vulcanite. A new pipe and I bond while I break it in, suffer its bites, build its foundation of cake, and decide what type of leaf to devote it to. I love both new and estates, and just think of each pipe as new to me, with its own nuances.

CalPiper likes this.
  12. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I buy estate pipes for two reasons. 1) They're already broke in. 2) I couldn't afford to buy the estate pipes I have, new.

Ol Brokedik.

CalPiper likes this.
  13. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Are you sure i didn't write this it sounds exactly like my view. 100% agree with every word you wrote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.