1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

new Pete meers at

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Cup O'Joe's. They restocked the 4- colors of stained 69s but also added Sherlock series shapes and sizes to the lot and these larger "XL" sized meers are very well done. The mortise has an internal ferrule that makes breakdown and insertion a breeze. These meers don't come with a hard case like Turkish meers do.....these are Petes and they're Irish! ;) but the Pelican 1030 "micro box" fits a bagged "XL" securely and with room for a bit of leaf and a few pipe cleaners too. Nice thing about these meers is they don't rely on wax to provide protection and I feel that they actually smoke drier since the pipe is all meer and all absorbent no wax to displace moisture. I've smoked the 69 and that one is my traveler. It's nearly always with me when I'm out. I carry it broken down in a single pipe combo bag. Another nice thing about them is you can handle these stained meers all day long and it won' hurt 'em. Even when the bowl is hot. The bad? Several. Pete stains the bowl inside too... so sand it out or smoke thru it. Since the bowl is stained it won't breathe like a waxed meer but the great equaliizer here is the lattice work that is free from any stain or has very light stain. Tempted to grab a green 69. :)

Ed
    Puff

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Thanks for the heads up- some good looking pipes in there!
    Have to admit I don't think I've ever seen meers stained like that before...

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

No wax? Oil? So what stabilizes the meerschaum? I have some pure meerschaum and it won't make a decent pipe untreated! What's the dye made from? Obviously the meerschaum has been treated with something!

Will

4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I love my green! Kinda glad they don't have the others in green or I would "need" them

5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yeah, if I were to buy one that's what it would be. I bet it'll look awesome after years of smoking and wear.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....but ARE they? - I'm not knocking them at all, I have not seen one, sounds like African meer to me, but I was under the impression that the source of this stuff was no longer available?, and of course it is not allowed to take unfinished, raw meerschaum block out of Turkey - so it would be interesting to know where and by whom the bowls are actually made.
    OT

7. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

that red one is pimp

8. Puff The Magic

If they leave Turkey as initially carved stummels or drilled to Pete's specs, I guess it's no longer raw. Anyway, the Sherlock ones that use wax are so white there is no way theyy~e African or "Black meer" (or "Gray"). Pure white. I don't believe either of the stained ones are anything but Turkish mined.

Ed
    Puff

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Okay, so they ARE waxed! Turkish meerschaum must be stabized and the usual method is to treat the raw meerschaum with bees wax! So, what's the dye made from! The interior of the bowl is coated as well? Humm....

Will

10. Puff The Magic

I detect no wax nor wax odor. The stain is sort of hard and the pigment / stain seems thicker in certain areas like in ridges or crests. Sort of cool. It's the only meer that I love to hold and smoke all the way through. The waxed meers end up getting sticky so they either get clenched or stem/band held. To me, the stain seems like the Killarney "dunk" stain (seems to have that redness) and looks quite good. As it ages, some of the thicker stained areas may chip off and the underneath is pink-ish so that's cool too. I don't imagine the black nor the brown would show a white chipped area unless the chip/gouge was deep or large.

Still lookin' at that Green 69! ;)

The waxed Pete meers are the Sherlock Holmes "non stained" pure white (best smooth meer I've seen next to Beklers) series (4-5, these shapes Professor, Deerhunter, Hudson, Baskerville, Watson, maybe another). These pipes are indeed waxed and done very very well. No wax in the bowl. Very well done.

Those are different from the "lattice carved stained" meers (black, brown, green, red). Those I don't believe there is nor ever been any wax on them. Just that stain.

Ed
    Puff

11. DocB

DocB Active Member

I would love to pick up a Pete meer, but due to my "less than favorable" conditions out here, I am going to wait till I get to the house... the sure are purdy though!!

12. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

My thoughts exactly! Those black meers are quite nice looking, and heck, even the green ones are pretty nice!

13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I'll agree - black pipes are ok!....but green, red or blue pipes! - for gawd's sake! :eek::puke:

14. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Red pipes? Petersons Killarney pipes are sort of red, are they not?

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

It's never polite to pick at another man's bone, but......
    Meerschaum is such a unique and wonderful pipe material that naturally colors it's hard for me to get excited about a colored meerschaum. Why? Just proves the point most pipes are purchased based on looks. It ya want a colored pipe why buy a doctored up meerschaum? To me one of more endearing elements of meerschaum is lost.

Is it block meerschaum or pressed meerschaum dust with a binder of some sort? I wonder?

Will

16. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yes...they are red. The Killarneys also come in dress black. I don't see them as often, though.

I imagine some people who otherwise like meerschaum, or would at least want to try one, are put off by the coloring process. Colored meers could be a boon for them.

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....nothing wrong with that Will!, think how boring it would be if we just said everything that came up - was wonderful!.........back on topic - I personally would not buy a dyed meer, I once had an African meer (made in The Isle of Man) you know the ones - varying shades of yellow, and darkening considerably around the rim, to simulate age and use, it was actually a good smoker but always looked 'contrived' and false - for want of better words. For me - meers start off white, and I smoke 'em like that till they go brown, and don't bother too much either way!.....but the usual addition - 'we are all different - thankfully! and please ourselves':th1:
    Cheers OT

18. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I agree on the fact that "natural" meers are a lot cooler, but the pipes in question definitely are different, and it's just one more option...Having more options is never a bad thing ;)

19. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I bought a green Peterson #69 last time these were up at COJ, and I've smoked it faithfully since I got it. It's definitely not waxed, but dunked in stain. My big complaint with the pipe is that the browning of the meer is starting to show through the green coloring, so it looks a little like... well, let's just say my 11-month-old son as had similarly colored creations.

But the thing smokes like a champ in spite of its looks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.