1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

new Pipe Day..

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by greasemunki85, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

Hey guys, got a new pipe - its a Savinelli Baronet shape 320EX.
    Great looking pipe, but I have a problem.
    Have not smoked the pipe yet, but the stem looked kinda dull when I brought it home, I polished it with a microfiber rag when I got it home and noticed a good bit of oxidation.
    What is the best way to get rid of this?? The pipe also taste a little funky when I put it in my mouth and make a draw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I've got a similar estate pipe that had the same problem. I think the stem is vulcanite, and as far as I can tell they are a bit dull looking.
    The funky stuff might go away with a good alcohol cleaning. If not the man at Walker briar works can machine clean it pretty cheap.
    But there's also many here with a lot more experience then I have. I'm just talking about what I've learned and what's worked for me. :cheers:

3. Abe Lincon

Abe Lincon Member

When i get new estate pipes i usually go through a long cleaning process depending on the condition of the pipes, i start with the stem depending on how rough it is, if it is extremely oxidized i let it soak in some bleach. For the bowl i scrape the old cake out of the bowl carefully, and then do some good old salt and alcohol treatment. When the stem is done soaking i takes some very fine steel wool to it and after apply some polish. I think that sums up what i do... Just to give you some ideas.

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Hello! I love that shape of Savinelli pipe. It's a great smoker. Anyway, I recommend browsing the Maintenance & Restoration forum here on the site for plenty of tips on restoring the pipe. It sounds like it needs a bit of alcohol cleaning plus the stem needs refurbing due to oxidation. With a little bit of elbow grease this thing should be a great smoker for you!

5. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

yeah, its a brand new pipe.
    I did soak the stem in bleach to remove the oxidation. that took care of alot of it.
    only did this for 30 minutes, mixed half water half bleach.
    Brushed it out with some baking soda/peroxide tooth paste. There was a spot at the end of the stem that was hard getting out, but it came out with the tooth paste..
    Now I just need something to Buff it up/polish it.
    The Whole family (for now)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Red Stem : Paronelli Rusticated
    below it is a Savinelli University series pipe
    An Indian head Meerschaum that someone gave me as a gift - in the upper right hand corner.
    Below in the middle is my Comoy's Tiger Eye shape 604 - some beautiful straight grain on that pipe.
    and my new Sav. Baronet
    I am gonna smoke it here with some BCA and let you guys know what I think.
    I got this as birthday gift(today) from the wife today, as long with a (sort of) English Blend - Tinderbox Conventry - she told them I smoke mainly aromatics and that I was looking for an english blend to get into.. They recomended this ,which I smoked in my paronelli earlier, and I love it.
    Its very different. I will deffinitly either buy another pipe for just english blends or take one of my other pipes and devote it to english.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If ya got a real tobacco shop near by bring it there and have them buff it . People will poo poo buffing cause over time it can wear things out ... but hell , it's a new pipe and one time won't hurt any ... only make it super black and shiny .

7. atwageman

atwageman Member

Nice pipe. I have a 320ex as well and its a great smoker.

8. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

Yeah I gave it a first smoke just a second ago.
    I love it, it does have quiet a larger draw than alot of my other pipes, kinda reminds me of a cob with the filter out.
    I loaded it full and smoked it all the way down to the bottem.
    Very nice pipe, very good draw (pretty open)
    The bowl seems very wide , but not all that deep, which is interesting, and quiet different from a dublin or whatever else you might be used to.
    The wife said it came down between that pipe and a Peterson straight poker kapet pipe.
    I say she did a pretty good job.
    I smoked some local Tobacco Corner 669 out of this pipe, which is a vanilla house blend that they blend at that store. Pretty good stuff, if any of you are ever in Memphis, TN and you like vanilla , give it a shot.
    It takes alot to get it warm, as I took a draw every 20-30 seconds and it never really got hot on me, possible due to the ability to absorb heat because of the thick walls on the pipe.
    Now lets get that cake going ;)

9. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

Nickc! You got a great pipe. I ordered the Savinelli Baronet Bruyere 320 EX three weeks ago from "Cup of Joes" and the pipe was absolutely top notch. :thumbsup: Unfortunately during the first week of use it developed a fine crack on the shank and I had it replaced with a Savinelli 606 EX. :groan: I absolutely loved the way the 320 EX pipe smoked Stonehaven, PS Luxury Twist Flake etc. I definitely plan to get the 320 EX again when it becomes available. My advice to you is to 1) break it in slowly, treat it with "TLC" and try some good flake tobaccos in it; I know you will love this pipe. :thumbsup:

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

Nice pipe!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.