1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

new pipe I won...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by mongo, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Active Member

Howdy all,
    I'm very excited to get this one, I really like this style. But, I have a question.... WHAT is the name of this style? Bent billiard? something else? I can't wait to see what kind of smoker it is. Let's see if I can paste the linky...http://www.ebay.com/itm/380601941791?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Spillproof and Summit like this.
  2. bambam

bambam Sales Account

Nice score. I would consider the shape more of a prince. However the bowl does have more of a billiard look. I would describe it as a "Prince Billiard" ;)

inkybat likes this.
  3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Very nice looking little pipe for the price! Looks to be in fine shape, too. I hope it smokes well for you!

4. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Good score. Congrats.

5. Moose

Moose Active Member

Don't know what type it is, but I likey! Good score at a great price, Enjoy.

6. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Link shows the auction ends Mar. 29th and is still active???

7. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

That's odd…I checked on my computer and again now on my phone and I see an ended auction.

8. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I would call that a billiard. Way too tall and not round enough for a prince. Good buy! Judd has some nice items. I've dealt with him often, both as a buyer and a seller.

10. dBear

dBear Active Member

I would also call it a billiard. With the rounding, it's sort of trying to move towards an apple but doesn't really get that far. Slightly bent or perhaps called 1/8 bent.

11. mongo

mongo Active Member

Pipe came yesterday... just opened it this morning. I am going to really like this pipe! It has beautiful lines and a nice in hand feel. I cannot wait to smoke it... maybe at lunch today. Stay tuned....

dBear likes this.
  12. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

I would call it a 1/8th bent billiard.

13. mongo

mongo Active Member

FINALLY got a chance to smoke it tonight. Loaded it up with a blend from Bull and Bear called "Bear's choice"... it is a burley blend. It smokes pretty well, I added one of those rubber slip on tips over the mouth piece since I tend to clench kinda hard.

I discovered a couple things tonight: I like those rubber mouthpiece things, I really like a burley blend, and I have discovered what I want to look for when I go to buy a pipe.... I want this same pipe style, complete with the slight bend, in a larger bowl. This pipe does give a good 30-40 minute smoke, so not too bad.

dBear and Thuber88 like this.
  14. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Glad you had a nice smoke out of it.
    Some people like to stick with one style of pipe, others change it up with some variety.
    Whatever you enjoy and feel comfortable smoking is always the right choice for you.
    Your tastes may change later on shapes and bends, and you find yourself experimenting, cobs are a great way to try new bends cheap

15. dBear

dBear Active Member

Mongo, you done good. Especially for just six bucks! :th1:

16. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

When looking at the profile a bowl leaning forward tends to be a Dublin; leaning forward but rounded back at the rim is more pear shaped; straight up and down tends to be billiard, pot and some styles of poker; rounded on bottom and rounded back at the rim tends to be the apple or prince.

The photos of this pipe make it look so blended that it's tricky identifying what shape it is. The first couple of photos show pretty good rounding back at the rim, which eliminates billiard. The bend in the stem convinces the eyes into thinking it's a prince. If you take the stem off, the bowl looks more like an apple to me. The last photo makes it look almost like a thick walled apple. Then you have the third photo taken from the top of the pipe making it look short and almost square like a pot.

I'd have to have the thing in my hands and know the history. It could be that someone sanded down a billiard bowl because it had a beat up rim, and they rounded back the rim in the process.

Either way... nice looking briar there. :sailor:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.