1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

New Pipe- Missouri Meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by wpdarby, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpdarby

wpdarby Member

So after the replies I got yesterday, I decided to go to my local tobacconist and I picked up this Missouri Meerschaum and some proper tobacco and it's a completely different experience. I really like the pipe, and good tobacco, is well, just good haha. This might be a stupid question, but if I end up not liking the light corn cob color could I paint it or stain it dark? Just wondering. Love how it smokes though.

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

MM puts a heavy finish on the outside, so I don't know if stain would do anything. You could paint it, I suppose, although there could be adhesion or compatibility problems between the existing finish and the paint.

It is an inexpensive (but good smoking) pipe. I'd not be inclined to fiddle with it too much.

There are some stained MM's from the factory.

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Don't know if there'd be any health issues with smoking one painted. But I would guess the cob wouldn't be able to "breath" quite as well.
    But for 4-5 bucks you can afford to experiment.

4. wpdarby

wpdarby Member

What do you mean by "breathe?" I'd rather not paint it if it will not function properly, and I'd only be painting the outside obviously. But for 6 bucks I thought it my be a cool project.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Congrats on that fine looking cob, Will! Corn cobs aren't 100% air-tight, so they "breathe" which is probably one of the factors that enhances the smoking experience with them. I'd suggest using an oil-based stain as opposed to paint, but since you're only risking a $6 pipe, you can afford to experiment.

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I ordered one online and it should be here any day. Looks to be the same.
    I was told (here) to get a Forever stem with it and I will probably do that after I get the cob.

7. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

There's no hurry on the "Forever Stem". Smoke the cob awhile and make sure you like it. I did find that I like MM's "Danish" stem that came with my Diplomat so I ordered some extras and retrofitted my Legend with one. The bit is somewhat larger at the mouthpiece and is more comfortable for me. BTW, the MM bits are $.25 each. Also, I use a folded length (one inch) of used pipe cleaner stuck in the plastic stem instead of the paper filters. It removes some moisture and tar and catches bits of ash or tobacco and is a less restricted draw than using filters and-----they're free :groucho:

I do have a Shorty Forever Stem to make any of my cobs into a "nose warmer" and it's nicely made and works well. But, until you decide you're going to be a "cobber", you might want to postpone purchasing the more expensive stem for awhile.

WyoBob

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

you could actually get several cobs, and one forever stem, and you'd be set! :bing:

9. Mington

Thanks guys! Tips noted. ;)

10. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I tried to darken one of mine once...
    tried Stain, didn't take very good. MM coats their cobs in plaster, so their pretty hard to get to take stain.
    Might try something like leather die - maybe. But Oil based stain didn't work for me.

I ended up buying a country gent - their stained at the factory.

Now however, after having several, I have come to really like the look of the natural cobs with black stems.

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

HI All,

Glad you're enjoying the cob - they really are superb. On their pipes MM uses plaster of paris as a filler but as I understand it then applies a coat of lacquer to finish them off, unless they are the precial line of naturals. That's maybe why the stain didn't take.

I'm sure if you really wanted to paint one it'd be OK and let's be honest if it did go wrong you are only a very few dollars out!

Happy smoking

Gerry

12. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

From my cob experiments I found that Feast Watson dark French Polish gives the exact same colour , finish and smell as the yellowish finish on MM cobs and I'm guessing they use the same thing. When I have used this on stocks no oil or alcohol stains soak through this. You will have to sand the finish off then apply a spirit based stain (recommended) then refinish.
    Or not bother and spend your time smoking instead :whistle:
    Cheers.

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Will, first off......welcome to the "Cob-side" of The Force! Your MM will darken as you smoke her. Smoke her enough, she'll be a nice deep golden with some areas even darker brownish..........that's why they're called "Meerschaum"! Missouri because they're from Missouri (Washington MO). Just smoke her, enjoy, and don't worry about the color.........she will darken on her own and in her own way. If you want darker, the Country Gent is nice. Walker bros. had a "Dress Cob" (I believe they called it a "Tuxedo") where they did the stain/paint thing and made some "Black Cobs" and the only problem with those is as the pipe aged, some of the plaster would fall out of the cob (due to the pipe being dropped, heat, wear, etc.) and leave whitespots..........which made the pipe look sort of "beat" and unsightly. So I'd recommend just smoke her and enjoy her!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

You can if you really want, but I think that may take away from the whole cob experience. MM sells cobs that have a darker shade like the Country Gentleman or Patriot. They also sell Ozark mountain pipes made of maple and cherry wood. Just some thoughts.

15. Mington

How often do you change the filter in a cob?

16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Never, don't use'm myself.

17. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

+1 __ don't use 'em

18. Mington

On the Forever stem website, they show Vulcanite and Lucite stems.
    What is the difference between the 2?
    Cosmetics or is Lucite better?
    (Lucite is a few more bucks)
    Thanks.

19. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Vulcanite is generally more comfortable but over time tends to discolor and show tooth marks. Lucite is available in a wide range of colors. Vulcanite pretty much comes only in black.

20. Mington

Thanks for the fast reply Jesla!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.