1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Pipe Rack

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Hudson, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Member

So I was trying to figure out what to do with all these pipes that seem to be arriving almost every day now, looking through the eBay listings for pipe racks and feeling uninspired by any of them. I mean, most of them end up with you staring at the ugly end of the pipe and that's not why I buy these precious little pocket sculptures. I want to be able to see them in their most flattering light.

So then I came up with a design idea of like a peg board rack where the pies hang laterally but where would I put that? Wall space is for paintings. Eventually I figured it was time to rearrange my display cabinet of collectibles, put away some of the glassware and just put the pipes on the shelves. Except it's too bad there aren't like little pedestals to put the pipes on like sculptures in a gallery. So this is what I came up with: Martini anyone?

https://picasaweb.google.com/Philip...authkey=Gv1sRgCOXppMX1jK2b6AE&feat=directlink

2. bluetip84

bluetip84 Member

I like it! Especially the odd shaped white bowl that can hold several pipes. I may still your idea.

3. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Great idea Hudson...I like it alot.. I bought a Decatur pipe rack few years ago...some of my pipes would not fit...more trouble for me than it was worth.... sold it on ebay...lost money...pipes laying on a large shelf now... much better for me.... you're idea is really cool...

4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

That's a really good idea. I have a pile of martini glasses I'll never use (the glasses are always spilling while I'm trying to drive). Maybe I'll use them for this.

hammondsj and Old Codger like this.
  5. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Hudson...I found this in archives to show you... You're idea looks lots better

My Smoking Shelf

6. Alamo

Alamo Member

Definitely like this idea
    Was thinking of trying to make my own pipe rack, but this looks much better, and the presentation is much nicer

7. irish2fish

irish2fish Active Member

Great idea! It looks cool too.

8. Hudson

Hudson Member

Glad you like it. I've seen woodworkers at sidewalk art fairs display their wares similarly. The pebbles are rounded but they're still hard and sharp in places so some care is needed. The beans are light and softer but they may absorb moisture over time. I've still got lots of vintage ashtrays to use and I have a feeling I'll be needing them

It's fun, visitors seem to get a kick out of it, and I get to admire my pocket sculptures anytime I like.

WrightwoodJohn and Alamo like this.
  9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Classy touch----I like it alot. A nice inexpensive way to show off those pipes.

10. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

100 points for creativity Hudson!

11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Now that's creative thinkin.. I like it

12. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Neat idea and some beautiful pipes. "Pocket Sculptures".... Well said and really appropriate.

Dondi likes this.
  13. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Great idea!

14. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Looks good! I could see some non-pipe smokers using that setup just as decoration.

15. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

That's a great idea. Very nice.

16. GregL

GregL Member

Dude, that is pure genius!

17. Hudson

Hudson Member

Glad to share. My first impulse, of course, was to come up with a radical design pipe rack that would be so popular that it would enrich me beyond my wildest pipe dreams but this is what I came up with: I couldn't sell enough beans to keep the beagle in kibble. Story of my life. However, it occurs to me that some of the pipe merchants could benefit by incorporating the concept into their marketing presentations. I mean, most of the photographs of pipes on eBay are terrible. I'm sure I zip on by stuff just because I can't see it well enough. Photographing pipes is more difficult than it seems it should be and I'm still not happy with my pics but simply improving the level of presentation on eBay could do more to enhance the appreciation of our odd little passion than anything else I can think of.

Anyway, thanks for your interest; I need to get back to the drawing board 'cause I've got this idea for a pipe . . .

The Big Fil likes this.
  18. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Whoa! Love this idea. Very classy. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.