1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Nico, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico

Nico Member

About two months ago I moved together with my girlfriend and the best thing about it is we share the rent-actually it's of course just a nice side-effect. So I was able to safe a pretty high amount of money and plan to invest it in a new pipe. I already know it shall be a churchwarden but I can't decide which brand. Maybe Peterson, maybe Savinelli.
    Do you guys have any advice?

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

You will do well with either. Stanwell is also good - the Hans Christian Anderson line is nice if you would also like a short stem to match the pipe. I've always been curious to try a Joh's churchwarden, though I have not yet done so (I've seen them at SmokingPipes.com, but they may well be available elsewhere).

Summit and AussieTX like this.
  3. Tate

Tate Member

Savinelli's get a lot of good press and whatnot. Based on numerous recommendations I bought a Sav 601 churchwarden. It is my only warden. I hate it. Literally, I will probably throw it in the trash soon. Gurgles like a hookah when smoked. I used a countersink on the stem and that resolved some of the problems, but the thing is still troublesome. Furthermore, I have tons of normal pipe cleaners but few long ones. Its always a pain to buy the long ones for that one pipe. I'm sure they make plenty of good pipes, maybe mine is just a lemon.

But I tell you two things. I am super hesitant to buy another Sav and I'll probably never buy another churchwarden.

4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Try to avoid ever throwing a pipe away, someone always will want it.

Arkie, F1guy and Smithy like this.
  5. Tony Malerich

Churchwarden pipe cleaners definitely are a bit more challenging to find -- if you have a local shop that has them, great, but if not grab yourself a few bundles online when you get your pipe, too. My first pipe (after a so-so basket) was a Stanwell churchwarden that I loved. I've since added an IMP (meerschaum) and a Peterson and all are fine pipes. The main complaint with CWs (and why I don't smoke mine very often) is that they're not the most portable. If you smoke on-the-go you may not find it so suitable. If you're able to kick back in an armchair at home and enjoy your pipe you'll be in good shape.

6. Thuber88

I plan for a CW in the future and the Sav was one of my choices to buy, it will be a while.
    The Petes have seemed a lot pricier sometimes, not that is matters right now either way.
    Maybe the craft department cleaners would be a lot easier to come by than hoping the tobacco store has them in stock, and faster than mail order.:)

7. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

8. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

I got a Johs from smokingpipes along with some long pipe cleaners and I have been very pleased with it. I think it was around $70, so good deal too.

9. Tate

Tate Member

True, but really the only people that might want a bad pipe are newbs and I'd hate to tarnish their experience knowingly giving them a pipe I consider to be a poor smoker.

surlysoul likes this.
  10. Thuber88

Some of us are always up for an experiment..:)

11. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

Just make sure you absolutely want one before you buy one. The majority of people who own them buy them because the look is appealing to them and then they only smoke them a few times because they're fussy and awkward smokers. This is speculation, but as our companions, pipes seem to be enjoyed best when they're just extensions of us - whether solidly in-hand or effortlessly clenched - and not extensions from us. Those are the pipes that get picked up the least. There are these added variables you don't think about sometimes when you are looking to buy a pipe.

surlysoul likes this.
  12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Church wardens and "Hobbit" pipes are cute, but all too often the new owner ends up leaving it sit on a shelf...they're just plain clunky! The only time you can smoke them is when you're sitting down, and they get in the way of reading a book, so THAT's out. I have one that was a gift from the bride....great looking pipe that gets smoked seldom at best. If you are a new piper, invest in a more classic size....save the C/W for later in your career, when you already have a decent rotation, and won't feel like you wasted your money....................

surlysoul and Rodfather like this.
  13. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Where do you spend your time smoking? i.e. Sitting around the house/apartment? If that's the case...you could get a lot of use out of a Churchwarden. I have three Churchwardens and two semi-Churchwardens (a couple inches shorter). I smoke the crap out of them, as 99.9% of my smoking time is sitting in my recliner watching Netflix.

This is a "to each his own" thing though. As you've seen some of the others post...some people find them to be a bit cumbersome.

I have one from each price range:

-Walker Briar Works Churchwarden forever stem ($24) mated to five MM Legends.
    -DGE Country Gentleman Churchwarden ($35)
    -Briar estate Churchwarden (gurgles like $h1t...I haven't smoked it in over a month). $40. It's a nice looking pipe though, lol.
    -SMS Lattice Churchwarden ($75).
    -Semi-Churchwarden by Boswell ($100).
    -Dual-Stem (standard and semi-Churchwarden) by Altinok ($180).

My $.02...go buy a cob Churchwarden from Doug/DGE first. Figure out if you're going to use it on a $35 budget before you drop $100+ on one.

I've got their DS106. It's a great pipe.

Some Churchwarden pRon for the haters.:D

Boswell's. My $.02...if you're looking to spend ~$100...I'd check them out.
    [​IMG]

DGE
    [​IMG]

The gurgle machine.
    [​IMG]

SMS top and Altinok bottom. I need to take some more pictures...they've colored a good bit. I've got 50+ bowls in each.
    [​IMG]

Thuber88 and Summit like this.
  14. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I also have a briar churchwarden listed for $50.00. Made from some super dry old Greek briar. Plus I can make one from most any MM cob bowl.

Thuber88 and bubbagump like this.
  15. Tony Malerich

Oh I most wholeheartedly disagree! The German term "lesepfeife" or "reading pipe" is because of the idea that the bowl is out of your sight line while reading. This is my FAVORITE time to break out a churchwarden.

Obviously one's personal experience will vary :) The OP may well find himself more in t-bears shoes…or mine…or something else entirely.

Nico likes this.
  16. F1guy

F1guy Member

After looking at the one that DGE has, I'm strongly considering one. I think that they're a good-looking pipe, but I don't want to invest until I can start getting much longer pipe cleaners.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  17. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

http://pipesandcigars.com/pipecleaners.html

18. F1guy

F1guy Member

19. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

20. Thuber88

That gurgler looks nice, but they all do to me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.