1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New pipe..

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by s2srea, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s2srea

s2srea Member

Hey all, I just picked this up yesterday. I'd love to show it off! I've been smoking an antique sale pipe for a few months now. I figured now that I can see how much I enjoy the pipe, I don't mind trading up to something nicer. I'm tring to figure the best way to break in, and I think I'm going with the "start off with 1/4 fill for first 12 smokes..."

Its an Erik Nording Signature Series. Its absolutely a perfect sit in my hand and very light.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Hey, that's really nice. I'm trying to get a handle on the size-- how tall is the bowl?

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Nice pipe!...and unusual, looks like a large bowl?
    OT

4. Zfog

Zfog Member

It seems that a lot of people like those natural free hands. Hopefully you get many years of enjoyment from it!

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Fill her up and smoke her . Looks like a comfy pipe to sit and smoke with . Enjoy !

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Very nice! I love a good freehand pipe, if your's smokes as nice as my Nording, you're in for a real treat.

7. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on that Sweet looking Pipe!! Beale.

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Yep, I like it too!

9. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Wow, that's a beauty! Let us know how it smokes.
    -pete-

10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

We love show and tell here at PSF! That looks like a future 'old favorite' to me.

11. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Nice pipe S2! I have a big Nording I've been smoking for about 15 years, and I love it. Of course, mine is ugly compared to this beaut, but it sure smokes nice.

Welcome to the forum!

Herb

12. s2srea

s2srea Member

Thanks everyone!

AndyL- The bowl is just under 2" deep. At the top, it is 1" wide and tapers a bit inward from there.

So far she's smoking great and feels so right in my hand. I'm anxious to get a full smoke from her, but I'm trying my best to be patient in breaking her in:puffy:

13. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

nice looking pipe. i really like almost every one that Nording lets go out the door. i really should get another one.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Nice pipe.

15. s2srea

s2srea Member

Thanks skip and RTO...

Does anyone have any advice on exterior care for this? Its unfinished briar (I believe)

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Nice Nording Natural-Sig. That pipe is gonna age wonderfully for you, but ya gotta smoke her! :)

The 2"x1" seems to be a favored recipe of his, a nicely tapering ogive shaped bowl, my Nording Viking sports similar if not same cavernous size, definitely a 3 gm bowl! Or actually, as much as you wish....... imagine how much flake a piper could cram in there. An entire day of Stonehaven in the biggun' ! :D

Enjoy! Let us know how she looks as she ages. ;)

Ed
    Puff

P.S. as for exterior care, make sure your hands are clean, and just allow your own oils from your hand and juices from the smoke color that gurl! She's gonna be a beaut! Smoke her! Gently to break then make her feel warm and loved......... she'll color and take care of her own. May wish to use a cleaner but I'd go with a dry tooth brush first in most all cases if you soil her. Some recommend a natural wood/pipe oil that's designed for the exterior, like a pipe polish for natural unfinished wood/briar. I don't bother with any special products other than for the stem on natural pipes of mine. Just my hand oils and pipe juices. I've read about some even using the grease & oils from your forehead but that doesn't appeal to me. I usually make sure my hands are clean prior to any smoke (if possible) and go from there. Enjoy your new nekked beauty! Love them Danish Freehands!

17. s2srea

s2srea Member

"...but ya gotta smoke her! :)..."
    No problem there!

PTM- Yep- It is quite a big bowl... I'm breaking her in now, even taking a quick 45 min during lunch just to do so- this is sort of like dating a girl for the first time isn't it :ngty:

Also... thanks for the exterior tips- wasn't sure if I was supposed to be doing anything else, but that sounds easy enough for me; clean hands, then smoke...

18. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Here's what you might expect after many smokes. My infamous Big Ugly Nording:
    [​IMG]
    Not bad so far...
    [​IMG]
    The grain darkens up nicely as you smoke. Natural oils from handling does the rest.
    [​IMG]
    A face only a mother could love. It was like that when I got it. Smokes great, though; it's my dedicated Squadron Leader pipe.

Enjoy your new pipe, s2s!

Herb

19. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Nice pipe! That unfinished briar tricked me - I thought it was antler or bone untill I read the text of your post.

And Herb, you might want to store your pipes where the mice won't chew on them...

Kiowapipe likes this.
  20. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

LOL

When I studied archaeology in college, we used to call arrow/spearheads that had been decapitated during the process of knapping "aw**** points". That's kinda what I figured happened with this Nording: some carver must have been nearly finished with it when the briar split, so they stuck a standard Danish stem in it and sold it as a freehand. It was cheap enough that I can live with it's ugliness, and it's been a trusted companion for many years, rarely giving me anything less than an outstanding smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.