1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Purchase

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by FrankB, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankB

FrankB Member

Howdy all,Pulled the trigger and broke down and ordered one of their banded MM Diplomats along with a "forever" stem.Looking forward to see how much improvemnt that makes.FrankB

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I have a 5" bent on an mm legend. Makes smoking a cob downright enjoyable.

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Cob I just got one of those too, they really do look sharp. Smokes like a dream.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Have a Forever stem on my Freehand - second the comments; they're good!

Happy smoking

Gerry

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Does the forever stem actually improve the cob's smoking properties? Cuz I don't mind the feel of the cheap plastic stock stems, but if there's a qualitative difference I'll definitely give one a shot.

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

There's many opinions of the issue of openness. This is mine.

The MM Corn Cobs pipe are designed to function satisfactorily with a filter. If you don't use the filter the draft is too open for the size of the bowl, IMO. Just doesn't smoke right. The Forever Stem brings the draft into proper proportion for the bowl size. Also, I don't care for the cheesy plastic stem that is stock on MM pipes. Some smokers like them just fine - so it's a personal choice issue.

The Forever stem is a must have in my book if one really wants to partake of the all the Corn Cob pipe has to offer.

Will

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Not really just makes it feel like any other pipe.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Best way to find out the right answer (for you) is to pony up for one and see. It may not be worth the $25-ish for one and you'd rather have the money towards OEM MM stems. I feel that it completely changes the "feel" of the pipe in my mouth, although lucite is hard, I'd rather have something solid between my teeth vs. something that's going to end up looking like a chewed up black/yellow straw. I feel the Forever Stems smooth out the draw better than a fully opened (no filter) but I just adjust my draw to how much smoke/flavor I'm wantin'. Of course, ymmv!

Let me know if you get one and decide you don't want it, I can trade ya something for it. I've always got room for one more Forever Stem!

:eek:hyeah:

Ed Puff!

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

But, but...... I any other pipes, so that's a plus!

Wonder why Brebbia and Savanelli and some other pipe makers include an adapter tube with their pipes that use filters. I heard it was because if you didn't want to use the pipe filter option you would make it like any other pipe! :bing:

Will

10. Puff The Magic

I know it's a habit of mine, but I don't use any of that internal plumbing. Filters, filter spacers, tubes, stingers, etc. are usually taken out after the first smoke if not prior to (in the case of a stinger, it gets "bobbed" or radically circumcised :suicide: ). Some prefer it all, that's cool. I just prefer the draw to be as straight of a shot as reasonably possible. With minimal "obstacles".

:)

Ed Puff!

11. Puff The Magic

Sorry for ignoring the op, Cobaholic, I'll bet you're gonna like that setup. It really is like putting armor on the achilles heel of cobs. The band is strong, not malleable or thick aluminum foil-like as in the more vintage MM widebands (Custom Grades or Monograms) of the '50-'60s.

And the Forever Stem, that'll fit your other cobs too (maybe)!

Congratz!

:suicide:

Ed Puff!

12. WillH

WillH Active Member

UH.....the stinger type deals are designed to collect moisture. The adapter tubes are designed to replace the filter they're not used. Two different applications, me thinks. The filter tube is supposed to reduce the drawn to afford a more consistent smoke - when the filters in place it's not needed.

From my experience how one controls the combustion of the tobacco in the bowl has a great affect on flavor, etc. :nurse: I'm not skilled at controlling my draw so took to the pipe to provide the necessary air flow. Probably just lazy and don't want to think about it while smoking.

I found MM Corn Cob pipes don't smoke right "for me" unless I reduce the air flow a little so it's more like my other pipes. The Forever stems provide that restriction.

Will

13. FrankB

FrankB Member

I should get my pipe on the 1st part of the week.I will post a review after I put a few bowls through it.

14. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

My Forever Stems made me love my cobs even more. I chew through the MM issued stems but I find the lucite very comfortable.

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Just for style points alone they are worth the 20-25 bucks. Ifin ya ever burn through or sour up the cob, you can reuse the stem on a new bowl...a nice thought, I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.