1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shape to Erinmore Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

So the other day I go to order some more Erinmore, and I noticed that the tin is now shaped like a "regular" flake tin, and not the rectangular shape like I'm accustomed to. This means that the flakes are gonna be shaped differently. I get a little edgy when they change-up pipe tobacco cuz it's been my experience that about fifty percent of the time the change is for the worst. Still, I went and ordered a sleeve.

They came in the mail today, and sure enough those neat little postage stamp sized/shaped flakes are a thing of the past. In their place I found huge rectangular shaped flakes. A little bit of a bummer, since one of the old flakes was just the right size for my Falcon standard Apple bowl. However, one of the new flakes is just perfect for my Falcon classic Istanbul bowl if I use the fold and stuff method. It's now a longer smoke, but with much easier prep. It smokes just as well, if twice as long, and it's giving me what I think is the perfect after work pipe. Still has that wonderful Erinmore flavor, the new tin size/shape fits nicely into my smoking kit, and I think that the Istanbul makes for a better flake bowl.

Not all change is bad, especially when the change results in an improved product - and in this case, I think that they actually managed to improve a product that was already pretty danged good.

Morse, Stonewall and dwaugh like this.
  2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Good to hear! I haven't tried one of the new tins, but if the mixture is the same, I can deal.

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Nope, they didn't mess with the flavor... just the shape.

Morse and dwaugh like this.
  4. Morse

Morse Active Member

One of my favorites too - glad to hear its the same old Erinmore goodness inside those new tins

5. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I've got a couple of the old tins around. That reminds me, I better open one pronto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.