1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

NEW (to me) PIPE

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by loaf, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loaf

loaf Member

it was my birthday yesterday, and my girlfriend sent my a present, which arrived a few minutes ago.

my fair lady smokes a shisha occasionally, but knows very little about pipes, but she means well, as far as i can tell, this is an eBay pipe, it appears to be second hand, as, when i tested the draw, i got myself a gobfull of ash....mmmmmmm.

its not my usual type of pipe, but ive got some new toby coming in the next couple of days, and its rude to throw away a gift.

she just sent me a text, and apparently its cherrywood, anyone got any experience with this material, know if its a good briar alternative?

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Back in the 70s I had a Ropp (made in France) cherrywood pipe. It still had the bark on and the stem resembled that on a corncob pipe. As I recall it smoked cool enough, dealt with the tobacco I threw at it and was perfectly fine. The only thing I can say about it was that it did impart its own flavour to any tobacco I smoked - a very deinite fruity taste. Had I kept it longer maybe this would have disappeared in time but sadly I lost the pipe when fishing.

I've tried without sucess to replace it of late but the firm is now out of business.

Best meantime

Gerry

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Welcome.

If you are looking to identify the pipe, post a picture. It amazes me how many people know what something is by site on here. Also, might want to look at doing an alcohol clean before smoking. That is what I do before smoking an estate pipe.

4. ted

ted Member

In my past life I sold a bunch of Ropp (un-branded) pipes. Maybe I can give you an idea as to age...etc... ted

5. loaf

loaf Member

i would upload a picture, but the uploader isnt playing ball

6. loaf

loaf Member

7. adryazad

adryazad Member

the link isn't working my dear sir

8. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Well first off happy late b-day, and as for the pipe one can never know how good a pipe will smoke till one tries it. And you being a piper you should join in with you girlfriend and smoke some shisha it is a very enjoyable smoke, i have 4 hookahs, with about 25 to 30 different flavors of shisha with Fantasia Triple Apple being my favorite. But anyway hop you enjoy the pipe!!!!

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I've got a couple of Ropp estate pipes I got in a package deal. One is god awful orange. The other is rather rustic looking. Haven't tried either yet but both look fairly solid. Just want to give em a good alkeehol cleaning first.

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Welcome, and happy belated B-Day!

Cherrywood makes for an acceptable pipe smoke, but yeah, clean it out! Even some rubbing alcohol with tissue and pipe cleaners (mandatory for this hobby) will help a pipe tobacco tasting like it should...in other words, not like the last owner thought it should. So clean' dry, and try again. This forum has some of the greatest advice givers possible, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

-Kyle

11. loaf

loaf Member

i have tried the shisha, but I didnt really enjoy it at all, i found it sickly sweet and took alot of fuss and bother to get it moving

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.