1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Middleton's Cherry - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Shane Arnett, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Picked up a pouch of this stuff the other day. Seems like it has potential but I cannot for the life of me keep it lit. It seems to be like no other tobacco. Tried drying it a bit.

I normally use a sort of 3 step drizzle method. Does this stuff need to be packed more loose than normal? More tightly? Also it's biting the hell out of me.

Thoughts?

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

My experience with it is that yes, it is better if you dry it out a bit beforehand. I spread some out on a paper towel for 30-an hour if I can. Then drizzle it into your pipe, but don't pack it very much. Once you have the appropriate amount in your pipe, return whatever is left to the pouch. (I guess that part is optional). Give it a charring light, and tamp it ever so slightly so the top is flat and ashy. Then re-light and sip slowly, You'll get the most flavor that way, and shouldn't get too much bite or gurgle. Just remember to sip it slowly after that! If it goes out after that (not uncommon) let it cool off a bit and then relight.

3. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Active Member

Yep. Dried out it burns with minimal fuss for me.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wow ... this is one blend that I dont even think about .Granted , I've been smokin it since I was a kid pretty much . As far as the pack ... I fiil it up and give it a light push and maybe add more . I fire the hell out of it at the char light . If it burns a bit , I just take it like a man cause it settles down in a minute . A slightly firmer pack job for it to last a while cause this stuff burns pretty quick .... a looser pack job if ya just wanna roll . You'll have to practice w/ it .. but dont get to mental cause often times over thinking will ruin any experience . I've never dried it out in 30 years

5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I just do tne codger cram. I never dry it before hand. Try tamping it a bit to get it more firm if it won't stay lit.

Spillproof likes this.
  6. ShilohHollow

The last pouch I bought is the only one I've had to dry out. The stuff was wetter than 1Q. Usually I'm like you guys and no fuss whatsoever. I wonder if Shane's pouch was as wet as mine.

ruffinogold likes this.
  7. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Pouch was pretty wet. Dried it a bit. I'm used to Sutliff blends which are no-brainers. Just gonna have to toy with this for a bit. Each one's different, you know how it goes. Took me forever to figure out a good formula for MacB Scottish and now it's one of my favs. Hoping this pulls through because I have heard really good things about it. Ruff was who inspired me actually haha.'

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. ShilohHollow

Like I said, my pouch was MUCH wetter than normal that what I've bought in the past. Now, that being said, I've only smoked through 3 pouches of this. The other two were good to go as soon as opened. The one that was so wet is now better and tastes the same.

9. ruffinogold

You guys must be getting fresh stuff ! Thats very cool . If anything , I hydrate mine alittle .... if bought in the pouch . The tubs have always been perfect . The cut of Cherry is a mish mash , really . Theres little tiny plugs along with the flecks and other stuff . The plugs are what keeps it from smoking like a rocket . I'm gonna smoke some tomorrow and actually think about smoking it to see if I can help . I honestly havent thought about lighting this blend in forever . For alot of years my wife would always make a positive comment when I lit Cherry Blend up so I went from smoking it a few times a week to smoking it every day . Man , I've smoked many pounds of this stuff . Ya gotta love the slight cherry thing going on in the background of this blend . I know I do .... it's a Super Classic !I'm getting G&H Top Black Cherry fro Christmass ... cant wait to try it !

10. Frank H

Frank H Member

I have been smoking CH and Middletond cherry also! Both by the same maker and I buy the small pouches in a box! The thing that I don't understand is the Carter Hall pouch is always open (pouch not glued shut, but box is) and the cherry pouch is glued shut. I wonder why the differance?

11. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I just got some of this from my SS and i have been doing the stuff and puff on it seams to me it burns almost to fast not hot just fast. May need to pack tighter?

12. ruffinogold

Yup , pack it firmer . If you gravity fill this stuff , the bowl will be done in 8 mins :)

13. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

LOL i get about a ten minute bowl so sounds about right

Jazzzzzzz1 and ruffinogold like this.
  14. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Welp, figured out it was the pipe. Switched pipes and Voila...

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.