New to pipes and moving from OTC to wanting to order something good

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Grim Peeper, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim Peeper

Grim Peeper Member

Ok I'm new in this hobby and to this forum but I have some nice pipes and my smokingmethod is starting to prevail. So far I've tried captain blacks all of them,PA,CH,SWR, and some crappy value buys. Out of everything ive tried I much have preferred carter hall to anything else. So my question is now I want a suggestions for a bulk buy for a tobacco that taste like CH but I bit bolder and richer with more body and wonderful nicotine. I also like SWR but want I really want is a tastier carter hall like pipe tobacco. Any suggestion?

dBear likes this.
  2. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Every time I try to find something "like" Carter Hall I always end up just smoking Carter Hall! :puffy:

dBear, rondel65, ruffinogold and 4 others like this.
  3. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Tough call if you are looking to replicate CH. I find that LJ Heart Burley from H & H tastes a lot like CH, without the chemical taste associated with CH, but I still prefer CH to it myself. If I were to give you a recommendation, I would say to try some Irish Flake from Peterson and/ or some Jack knife Plug from GL Pease. If choosing the latter I would get the Ready Rubbed version unless you want to do a lot of work. Both of these blends are pretty natural tobacco blends that primarily consist of Burley with some Va added. The addition of dark fired Kentucky takes the nicotine a lot higher than CH.

Then if you really want a treat, get some John Patton's Storm Front from 4 Noggins. It is not like CH, or really anything else. It is just great. I recommend it to anyone who likes Burley blends.

dBear and psquared like this.
  4. Marker

Marker Active Member

Renier LGF has a nice Virginia taste while still having a nice burn. Rub it out really well and dry before you load your pipe. I like it more than Carter Hall but CH does have its place in a cob. In a briar the LGF is great.

5. Grim Peeper

Grim Peeper Member

Well I'm not exactly trying to replace or replicate CH on just trying to give you all a baseline for what I like. Im looking for a tobbacco that is similar in taste but a bit bolder or tasty.

6. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

MacBaren Scottish blend. Not much bolder than CH, but a little more flavorful to me.

ruffinogold and RTOdhner like this.
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Cornell & Diel Burley Flake #2.

psquared likes this.
  8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

For Burley tobacco's that have a little zip to them, jpberg is spot on with C&D Burley Flake #2. I would add #3 as well. I also would say that you can also buy some really terrific burley in bulk form. Uhle's #00 is actually my favorite Burley. I often call it my Carter Hall because I smoke it when ever I don't know what I want to smoke. Also, Pipeworks & Wilke's Nut Brown Burley is fabulous as well. Here are the links to those sites.
    http://www.uhles.com/Uhle_blends_out_of_state.htm

http://vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

dBear and jpberg like this.
  9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

1) Mac Baren Golden Extra
    2) Mac Baren Burley London Blend
    3) Mac Baren Symphony
    4) Mac Baren Scottish Mixture (flake or ready rubbed version)
    5) Mac Baren Navy Flake (flake blend)
    6) Stokkebye Natural Dutch Cavendish
    7) Stokkebye Aromatic Dutch Slices (it's actually a ready rubbed, and not a flake - as the word "slices) might imply.
    8) Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (a flake with a wee bit of Perique)
    9) Stokkeby Luxury Twist Flake (a mildly aromatic flake that has a room note and flavor that reminds me of Danish Butter Cookies).
    10) Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop
    11) Hearth and Home Angler's Dream
    12) Orlik Golden Slices (a flake blend)
    13) Erinmore (a flake with an almost Lakeland-like essesnce, but not near as strong and it won't ghost your pipe)

These are all Burley or Virginia/Burley blends, and I think that anybody who appreciates a good OTC like CH, PA, or SWR will like these. All of then, with the exception of the Orlik or Ernimore, can be had in bulk form for between $28 a pound to about $40 a pound depending on the blend. The Orlik Golden Slices and Erinmore are proably the two most inexpensive flake blends on the planet, and they can be had for $6 to $8 a tin depending on who you order from. And they only come in tin form. All of the Mac Baren blends can be had in either bulk or tinned version, but obviously the bulk versions will be less expensive - hell, the Golden Extra, Burley London Blend, and Scottish Mixture (ready rubbed form, not flake) can be had for about $28 a pound, and that my friends is an exceptional value.

ruffinogold likes this.
  10. Grim Peeper

Grim Peeper Member

It might also help to tell you all what I didn't like about some of the others like swr was good but it seemed to me anyway like the smoke was very mild almost like steam tasting and I want a tobaccoish tasteing tobacco because i like tobacco. Carter hall was great because it actually tasted like tobacco very nice with a little zing I really enjoyed CH and will continue to smoke it as it is very cheap. I also like SWR for the way it burned and while it was very mild tasting it still tasted pretty good. But out of the OTC brands I prefer carter hall by a conciderable margin. That being said I'm looking for a special occation smoke that I would also like to smoke by itself or blended in some ratio to CH. thank you for all the previous suggestions in this thread and I'm reading reviews on the brands mentioned above. Please keep the suggestions coming! Remember I'm looking for bold and tasty.

11. RTOdhner

Well, I doubt that any of my suggestions would qualify for "bold," but I think that they sure are tastey.

12. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Hearth and home Anniversary Kake
    Orlick Golden Sliced
    PS luxury navy flake
    PS luxury bullseye
    PS luxury twist

OGS isn't in bulk but it is cheap.

13. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Solani Aged Burley Flake is a very refined Burley and it has enough oomph to it also. If bold is what you are looking for, look no further than C&D Burley Flake 2 and 3. both have a nice amount of strength. You can easily pump up CH with Burley Flake #3.

Also remember, Kentucky leaf is a Burley as well and there are many blends that contain Kentucky leaf that are downright powerhouses. GH Kendal Kentucky, C&D Kickin' Chicken (not sure it is available yet), Mac Baren Old Dark Fired to name a few. All high in nicotine and flavor as well. Kendal Kentucky is one of my favorite smokes and it does not bother me but some here say they need to eat first before smoking it.

14. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I like RTOs' spin , though Anglers Dream was about the worst blend I've tried in years and years

I think MB Symphony would be a great choice ! Scottish and GE also , but Symphony as first choice

Also , if you run into any PA Choice ... it's very similar to CH

16. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

In the interest of not sending you off on a wild goose chase for what I consider the best Va/Bur I've ever tried (it is only released a few times a year, and is subsequently hoarded in short order), have you tried Peterson's Irish Flake? There isn't a whole lot that's more natural, bold, and tasty than Irish Flake, and I think it might mix well with CH. The biggest issue I have with suggesting a blend that's similar to CH, is that nothing I've ever tried is similar to CH. Solani ABF could be a good suggestion though, as I can see some similarities between the two on my palate. C&D's Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz are amazing Burley blends, but you won't find much similar at all between the Burley in C&D tobaccos, and what you find in OTC's. You will find both of them A LOT bolder than CH, and neither are short on nicotine.

One caveat I noticed is that you mentioned OTC's tasting almost like steam. You might still be smoking a bit too hot or fast. Any pipe tobacco, from CH on up to the in-your-face flavor of G&H ropes will taste "steamy" if you're smoking too fast. As I've spent more and more time with my pipe over the past couple yrs, I've noticed that OTC's started rendering a lot more flavor as my smoking technique improved. It's easy to subscribe to the notion that CH or PA are light on flavor, especially if you're still perfecting your technique, but I wouldn't rush to judge whether or not they completely skimp on flavor until you've developed a good familiarity with non-OTC blends.

17. RTOdhner

Pete Irish Flake is the devil! (OK, I'm just a wiener who can't take the nicotine level).

18. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

LOL I just smoked 3 bowls of it back to back. I keep hearing the nicotine in it will surely kill you. I must be weird or something.

19. RTOdhner

Three bowels back to back? :eek:

You're hard-core! :hbang:

20. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

LOL I'm trying to stave off withdrawal. My gf got me re-hooked on Marlboro Blacks a while ago, and I need to get away from smoking them again. Unfortunately, whether because of the chemical additives or the manner of delivery, transitioning to just pipes, chew, and the occasional cigar leaves me with terribly frustrating withdrawal symptoms. Mistress N wreaks terrible vengeance when she doesn't get her way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.