1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

New To Pipes, But Just Bought These 4 Tobaccos To Sample. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ChrisB, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Dunhill Flake (Virginia)
    Erinmore Flake
    Mac Baren Black Ambrosia
    Mac Baren Plumcake

Are these good places to start for a newbie?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    There's no wrong place to start. You have an interesting assortment there. The Black Ambrosia will be sweet, prone to overheating, probably smell better than it tastes. An outright Danish-type aromatic. The Erinmore will be more "tobacco"y, but you'll still definitely taste fruit and I think anise if you smoke slowly. The Plumcake is rum-topped, and the only tobacco you have with any latakia in it - this adds a smoky, thick backbone. Plumcake is incredible tasting, but it can really punish the tongue - go slow!

The Dunhill Flake is a perfect start into Virginias - clean, easy smoking, sweet enough to be interesting, but not a real challenging bowl - probably the strongest in terms of nicotine here too.

If you are starting with a clean/new pipe, I'd smoke this one first. The ghosts left by the others would definitely impair your perception of the Virginia.
    dBear, Marker, user3610 and 1 other person like this.
  3. phinz

phinz Active Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Smoke the flake slowly or you'll get stoned.
  4. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Do not know a bad place to start.
  5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    I have had all but the Ambrosia and like them all. Hope you do too. Let us know. :th1:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.