New to the Pipe.. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Drake, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drake

Drake Member

Hi everybody. I am 22 years old and new to pipe smoking. I think this forum that I found it great. I was wondering if I could get some advice. I dont have a lot of money to spend but I really want a Peterson bent pipe. I really like the Peterson 03 design. Being that I dont really have the funds to buy a new pipe, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where to get a used/estate pipe at a reasonable price. Also do you guys have any recommendation on good tobaccos for newbies. I have heard Mac Barens is very good, is this true? Thanks.

2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Check out eBay for estate pipes.
    My opinion is dont spend a lot on your first pipe, there is a chance that you may damage it in learning the best way for you to smoke a pipe. Peterson's are my favorite pipe, great value for money. Look great, awesome smokers.
    For a first pipe I would recommend going to a local B&M, look at their basket pipes, these run about $20-40 for a briar. Buy one that you like the look of and try it out.
    MM corn cob pipes are also great, they're cheap and they last a long time if you take care of them. And if you break it, it's only $10 or so down the drain.

I'll leave the tobacco lists to those with more experience than me.
    You may want to check out some of the websites that offer starter kits.
    Pipesandcigars.com, cupojoes.com, 4noggins.com these are the 3 websites that I use to get the majority of my pipes and tobaccos.

3. Drake

Drake Member

Aussie. I went down to a local tobacco shop and all they had were corn cob pipes. I bought one along with a bag of Blenders choice tobacco. The corn cob seems to smoke ok, at least Im getting the hang of things but the tobacco isnt very good. I would also like to upgrade to a peterson. I smoked a old friends pipe and tobacco and it was a great experience but he is now past away and I cant go to him for advice. Thanks.

4. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I still have 4 cobs i smoke daily 2 in my work van and 2 at home for trial stuff cost me $22 for all 4 of them

5. Pappy

Pappy Member

Ebay is a good place to hunt down a estate Peterson. As far as tobacco, yes Mac Baron makes some wonderful blends. The question is what kind of tobacco do you like? Aromatics? English? Other? Give us a hint of what you’re smoking now and what you like and we can help steer you in the right direction. :)

Spillproof likes this.
  6. Scurvy

Scurvy Member

You really cant go wrong with corn cobs. As a new pipe smoker, I was put off by cobs and never even considered getting one (if I was gonna smoke a pipe, I wanted a fancy wood one, dangit) One day in my B&M I decided "WTH, I'd have something to smoke for the drive home" and I don't regret it for a second. You'll find that a lot of experienced pipe smokers love smoking cobs, and there is a reason. Then, if you decide pipe smoking isn't for you wont have wasted so much money on that Peterson. If you decide you do like it, you'll have a decent smoke while you save your cash for that fancy pipe you love. As others have said, Ebay is a great place for pipes and you can get some good deals if you know what you're looking for.

As far as tobaccos, I don't want to suggest a specific blend because you may not like what I like. But I can say this: I started with good ol' Captain Black White. It kept me going while I got my thoughts together on the better stuff I wanted to try. Prince Albert or Half and Half would also work, as you can find them anywhere and they're easy on the wallet. I watched the "what are you smoking" threads like a hawk and took note of the more popular names that kept coming up from experienced smokers. Look at the descriptions and what sounds good to you, get a couple each from a few big brands (Samuel Gawith, Peterson, Dunhill, Cornell & Deihl, etc.) Decide what you like and what you didn't like and expand from there.

tobaccoreviews.com was a big resource for me, as well. If you see the name of something that sounds like you might want to try it, look it up on here and you can see what's in it and what other pipers have to say about it.

PipeWife likes this.
  7. Drake

Drake Member

Pappy, I will look into setting up an ebay account and looking on there. As for tobacco, the stuff I bought was vanilla. I love anything vanilla flavored. I also have smoked a few cigars and have like the taste of the more full bodied tobacco.

smokinghost likes this.
  8. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

A bad tobacco can completely ruin pipe smoking for some.
    Burley tobaccos really shine in corn cobs, I strongly urge you to get your hands on some Carter Hall and try that out in your cob. I have around 20 pipes, 5 of which are cobs and they all see CH on a regular basis.

9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

As others have said, Ebay is a great place to cruise Pete's.
    I love cobs and own lots of them (*in addition to briars), but if it's briar you're after- get briar.

Another thought.
    There just may be a PSF'er around here somewhere with an extra Peterson or two.
    Maybe post "Looking for a Peterson" in the Trading section. Offer those interested comparably valued tobacco of their choice (*within reason), buy whatever they want online, and have it shipped to them directly. You get a Pete. They get some more tobacco for their horde. Happy happy.

Oh and all sorts of otherwise reasonable people LOVE MacBaren. You'd be in good company.

10. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

If you go the B&M (a physical pipe shop, not just online) route, check to see that the draft hole is all the way at the bottom of a pipe you want. If the air hole is a ways up.... find a different pipe! I use the 2 mm rule. You cant smoke below the draft hole, and it is ok if it is left or right of center... it will smoke about the same as if it were dead center. I have not been able to tell a difference, anyways. I have another vote for carter hall in a corn cob. I have a bunch of briars, a few meers, and I want more cobs because... I want more carter hall in my semi random rotation. I have enough briars and meers (unless I spot one I really fancy) but daggone it... cobs are great! There are a number of cob modifiers here and they can get quite fancy. Oh, and I have a five year old cob. Captain black is a good tobacco, too. Heck, anything that isnt labeled Mixture 79 will do you right. Start off with the tobaccos that come in a pouch or tub. And remember, it is not a cigar or cigarette so do not take a drag. Take a light sip, the burning ember wont get as hot and your pipe will thank you (as well as your tongue-mine was scorched for quite a while.)
    Glad to have you on board!

Rodfather and Artistik like this.
  11. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Welcome to the forum. A lot of good advice above.

12. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Welcome to the forum Drake. If you like Vanilla and were leaning towards MacBaren, may I suggest picking up some MacBarens Vanilla Cream Flake. I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm also going to echo most of the other posts in saying that cobs (for whatever reason) are Burley burning machines. Pick up a pouch of Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or another OTC (we call them Over The Counters because they can be found at most drug stores/grocery stores) and try some in your cob.

Again, Ebay is going to be your best bet for finding an estate (previously owned) Pete for a reasonable price for someone on a budget. I will also second Spills suggestion and post up on the trade sub forum that you are looking for a Pete and you are willing to trade some tobacco for it. If they value their Pete in it's current condition at $30 and they want X tobacco, just buy 30$ worth of X and have it shipped directly to them. When they receive it, they will send off your new to you Pete, everyone is happy.

13. Drake

Drake Member

You guys are great. You have so much advice. I put a post on the trading section, hopefully I can find someone that has a Peterson.

N3M0 likes this.
  14. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Another decent vanilla is CAO Bella Vanilla. I'm not much of an aro smoker, but I do like this. And welcome to PSF Drake.

15. Johnny

Johnny Member

Welcome to PSF, Drake. For starting out, a really good way to go is with the MM cob and some Prince Albert or Carter Hall. That will get you learning how to correctly smoke a pipe. If smoking the pipe is to your liking, many etailers offer samplers so you can try out a few different blends. Enjoy the journey!

16. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I just went to E-Bay and typed "Peterson Pipe" in search....came up with 674 active auctions. Pipes ranging from $40+ to well over $100. You should find something there that fills the bill for you. I would look for a straight or nearly straight pipe for starters...less fussy, and less likely to gurgle as you learn the intricacies of pipe smoking. Bents and fancies can come later, after you've mastered the basics. Good luck!!

As for tobacco....most people here tend to point a newbie toward aromatics...I don't. Reason? Aros tend to have a lot of PG which makes them moist and therefore hard to keep lit. The newbie then puffs like a freight train and ends up with tongue-bite!

I like to recommend a good burley and/or a good Virginia for starters. In this case, I would say, try Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake or Luxury Navy Flake for a quality Virginia at a very good price...both can be bought in bulk. These can be had at most any on line dealer. I'm allergic to burleys so I'll leave that up to others here, although Prince Albert and Half and Half seem to be very popular.

Po Lazarus and MikeInMaine like this.
  17. craig

craig Active Member

Hey drake, my best advice would be get a missouri meerschaum corn cob, they last for ages even if you smoke the hell out of them, as for tobaccos i would have a pop into your local b&m and have a word with someone behind the counter, i would say tgo start out with an aromatic, simply because of lack of bite, lack of nicotine content (good reason incase you smoke to fast, nicotine rush off pipe tobacco isnt good).

18. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I might point you toward BoswellPipes.com for some starting tobaccos. They are much better than what you got at the shop, but nonetheless quite cheap. I think they run $2.70/oz regardless of how much you buy. You can get a nice sampler to try out for under $20.

19. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

If uou have your heart set on a Peterson, it would be a waste for me to tell you to buy cobs. Since you mention a limited budget, eBay might be the way to go. Don't discount brands like Dr Grabow or Kaywoodie. We have members who get as much enjoyment from them as higher end pipes.

Oh hell, why not? I have some cobs that I enjoy as much as I do my meers. Buy a handful of cobs.:old:

IrishRover and Raffxr7 like this.
  20. Drake

Drake Member

You guy have great advice. I do have my mind set on a peterson. I have a cob right now. I was wondering if you guys would reccomend Mac Barens Old Dark Fired? I have seen a lot of talk about this tobacco but dont know if I should buy any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.