1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

New to VAs and Need Help

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Laredo, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laredo

Laredo Member

I'm excited to be part of this forum. I am new not only to this forum but to all forums. I, myself, can tell that this posting is from a newbie because all attempts at this post have resulted in a too long life story, so after several edits I will attempt to cut to the chase (with the obvious exception of this opening paragraph).

1 - I don't have a pipe smoking mentor. I've learned via reading and experimentation. I now clearly need a mentor and am turning to this forum.

2 - I've never tried VAs prior to two days ago when a gentleman at a B&M, who (apparently) felt sorry for me when he saw my purchase of an aromatic, gave me a flake of Bjarne's Flake de Luxe to try. He warned me that if I like it I'm out of luck as it is now out of production (since this post is becoming a book (read lengthy) this gentleman's afterthought is the foreshadowing of this "Need Help" posting).

3 - I've never tried a VA and I've never tried a flake, but this was terrific! To begin with I acknowledge that I lack a sophisticated palate; further, I read on tobaccoreviews.com that (someone posts) this is "probably the best introduction to straight Virginias I have ever tried". This fits me perfectly. I lack the experience to describe blend, and at the risk of exposing my lack of sophistication the best I can think of is that it tasted buttery. I'm sure there is a better word for my experience and I'm sure I'll learn it with more experience and with mentors. But for now all I've got is "buttery". I guess there are experienced VA lovers who don't like this blend because it was only (what I call) buttery. Maybe this is what reviewers mean when they indicate a blend lacks depth, but in any event this is what I (as a newbie to VAs and flakes) absolutely loved.

4 - Well, clearly I never succeeded in cutting to the chase but on to the help part. To my new mentors out there: when you're done giggling yourself silly about the term "buttery", what blend(s) should I try that would be close to Bjarne's Flake de Lux?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Orlik Golden Sliced, probably.

Virginias are a surprise and a treat when you get to them. Took me far too long. And there are so many types it's mind boggling.

For sweet, slightly sharp virginias, I like McClelland a lot. For slightly more subdued virginias, darker flavors and a little more punch, the Rattray's tobaccos can't be beat.

3. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake.

4. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Full Virginia Flake is great, but hard to find at present. Look for Orlik Golden Sliced for the moment. It is cheap, and delightful.

5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

You want a taste treat, Park lanes Red Paramour known in some circles as Red Crack, is a Va with a touch of perique and it is just wonderful. I just bought another two pounds of it today, I can't get enough of it!

6. nobler son

nobler son Member

I second, on both counts. McClelland's 5100 "Red Cake" is a great VA to try. And I'm in love with Old Gowrie from Rattray's--a good tangy VA with just a dash of peppery Perique.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

FVF might be to overpowering for a beginner.
    I'll second (or third) Sas' recommendation,
    and say try the Orlik Golden Sliced; aka: OGS.
    You may also want to try G.L. Pease's Union Square.
    If shipping costs are of no concern, I can also
    recommend a plethora of blends not available in
    the states.

dp

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Here's another reccomendation for McClelland's 5100 Red Cake. While I enjoy OGS (I've even got some aging), I like 5100 even better. I think they put something in it that gets you hooked.

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

"Because they put an addictive chemical in it that makes ya crave for it nightly, SMARTASS!!"

[​IMG]

:0laugh:
    dp

10. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Solani Silver Flake is just outstanding if you want something with a little more kick to it. A sweet, delicious blend of Virginia and spicy Kentucky tobaccos. The flakes are about a foot long and don't come vacuum packed so you have to smoke it like a bastard or jar it up asap.

11. nobler son

nobler son Member

is what I read. I think it's a sign.

12. falconsmoker

falconsmoker Member

Lots of good virginia suggestions offered, I also like McClelland virginias, especially Red Cake, it's my daily pouch tobacco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.