1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

New, unopened tin "movement"...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by NBPipe, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

I found & bought a couple of dusty tins today.

One makes no sound or movement and the other moves ever so slightly in the tin even though it's unopened. Does that mean it has been "compromised" and exposed to air? It's a flake and feels solid but, I've read that there should be no movement if the seal is not broken???

Please advise :)

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

What kind of tins? Coin-poppers or key-peelers? Either way, you're probably fine. Lots of tins are packed such that the tobacco can shift around in there. Wouldn't worry :)

3. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Cool, thanks. They are the square tins. Coin poppers I believe. I would hate to trade or cellar only to find out it is "compromised" in some way, shape or form.

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

If the lid doesn't easily pull right off, you've still got a vacuum. No worries.

5. RobRiguez

RobRiguez Member

The 2 tins of MacBarens I have were "solid" before opening, no movement, no can flex, nothing.

The Frogmortons was loose packed in the can and if shaken, could be heard moving around inside.

The Perterson Special Reserve was not a sealed tin at all, had a flip lid, but the plastic pouch of tobacco inside is sealed.

So, FWIW and FYI, 3 different experiences from 3 diff suppliers/manufacturers from this newb.

6. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

If the lid is slightly concave you should be good to go. I've had many sealed tins that would rattle when shook.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If you shake it and it sounds like Rice Krispies, you have a problem. And don't then pour milk on it!!!

Hopefully everything is ok!

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

What Dan said....if it has a dry rattle, it's compromised....if it's a dull thunk, it's still good to go. Lots of flake, coin and other tobaccos have room in the tin....no problem.

UberHuberMan and Dondi like this.
  9. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Excellent. It has the dull kind of sound. If it helps, it's Gawith "1792 Flake."

My guess I'll have to cellar it and "work up to it" as I hear it's a bruiser! Oh well, it was on sale and the only one :th1:

10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

1792 Flake is some very good pipe weed, but it is one that you don't want to smoke on an empty stomach. It's a "Vitamin N" bomb for sure!

11. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Ya, that's what I've read. I had no business buying it but thought it might be something to try later on down the road or for a trade to someone who really enjoys it but can't find it readily.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  12. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Well, if you find that you don't like it, I'm sure you'll have no trouble trading it off. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Who knows, you might just fall in love with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.