1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Newb Pipe Packing Question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dusty1, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty1

Dusty1 Member

Hey guys, question for you avid pipe smokers. I am new to pipe smoking, and my pipe bowl is 3/4" wide X 1.5" deep. I don't always want to smoke an entire bowl, but haven't found out the best way to smoke a partial one. Should I fully load it and let it go out to smoke later, or should I only halfway pack it? Sorry if this post has been done before, but I couldn't find the thread. Thanks for the advise!

2. snowman

snowman Member

You can half fill the bowl and smoke it that way,Or if you plan on smoking another bowl in a few hours then just fill the bowl and let it go out and when your ready for more just relight it.

dwaugh and Dusty1 like this.
  3. Dusty1

Dusty1 Member

Ok, so either way works, thanks!

4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

If you're just starting out, you're probably better off going with half bowls to begin with anyway.

Some say it's so that you can get a nice, even cake formed. Really, it's because you might not be able to smoke the full bowl and shouldn't waste your tobacco! The even cake is just a byproduct of that.

5. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

As with most choices in life, does the good out weigh the bad. If you go with a half bowl, it will cake uneven...BUT, you will start with a fresh bowl the next time you want to light up. A full bowl and you will build a more uniform cake, but your next lite (at least for me) seems to be a little "stale?". Personally, I start with a fresh bowl, and keep the cake reamed even. But it's up to what you're comfortable with. Main thing is to enjoy!

6. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

You could also pick up a MM Legend or Mizzou corn cob pipe. These have smaller bowls than most briars. Plus one of these will only set you back about $10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.