1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie looking for a few answers to a few questions :)

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Tyler Eberle, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Eberle

Tyler Eberle Member

Hey everyone! I have been a cigar smoker for a while now and I absolutely love it! But I had to scratch an itch and am now making the movie into pipe smoking! So questions....

1. Will aromatics keep me from enjoying my finer premium cigars such as Padrons and my CC's? I am concerned about the flavors they will impart, just a weird thing I'm worried about for some reason.

2. I am wanting a Meer for the second pipe. I heard these are hard to take care of. Would you recommend them for a beginning pipe smoker?

3. How should i clean a corncob? Do I use a pipe cleaner in the stem as well as the shank and bowl?

I am smoking my first half a bowl tonight. TK-6 is what I will be smoking, unless I go back to my local shop and get some aromatics. Wish my luck y'all!

bbeberle

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Welcome, Tyler!

1. No
    2. Meers aren't hard to take care of, per se.
    However, they will break if dropped, so handle
    with a bit of care, and you'll do fine. The finish
    is protected, so you don't have to wear cloth gloves
    as some may lead you to believe. They also have
    a neutral smoking quality which brings out the
    natural qualities in the leaf you are burning at
    the time. Usually, one doesn't build a cake in a meer.
    3. Cobs don't need a lot of maintenance. Just a
    pc (pipe cleaner) down the shank, and a quick
    swab of the bowl, and you're done.

Good luck!

Preacher1611 likes this.
  3. Tyler Eberle

Tyler Eberle Member

Thanks for the response Snake! So far I am enjoying the pipe. I smoked my very first half bowl last night. I had a rather hard time keeping the tobacco lit. I assume knowing when to puff will come with experience but it wasn't all that bad, probably around 10 times the entire session. I think my main problem is i'm afraid of getting it to hot and getting tongue bite. I will get more comfortable with it soon I'm sure.

I just read the Meer sticky and it was VERY helpful. But cleaning thus far has been a bit... contradictory. Some say this...others say that. I think I will stick to what the sticky says and go with that. I am also a little weary about buying Meers, as I want them to be a BLOCK Meer and not a composite Meer. I was forwarded to this site and it says there block and from what I have seen around here, you can't go wrong with them....

Here is the Meer I am looking at getting...
    http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/detail.asp?product_id=CW106

One thing I don't think I saw in the sticky was a point to mention that one should avoid charring the rim of the bowl because once that is done it won't come off. Weather is true or not I am not 100% sure but it's something I read. How does one keep from charring that part of the bowl? The flame being so hot and so close...it seems inevitable.

4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Tyler,
    Welcome! Being that Snake covered your original questions well, I will tackle the few I know in the second post.
    Relights are something that come with pipes. I have been pipe smoking for almost ten years now, much more sense finding PSF, and am just now starting to get the number of relights down. I learned that they really are not that big of a deal to be honest. However, they are usually caused by over moist tobacco or improper fill of the pipe. Do not pack a pipe, but fill it. To hard of a pack and you will put restrictions in the draw. This will lead to frequent relights and tongue bite.

As for the Meer, Altinok is very good to deal with and a member on these forums. If you like a pipe from them, order it. IMP is also a good brand, which they carry. I know there are a few others, but these are the only two I have experience. While they may be a bit more expensive, they are worth the extra.

Sean

5. Tyler Eberle

Tyler Eberle Member

It's not that I mind re-lighting, in fact I find that playing with the pipe is fun.

And from advice from other people who pipe smoke. I've been told if I am going to get a Meer, get a block and pay the extra for the better quality stuff. Don't go cheap. I am buying one of his churchwardens today :) REALLY excited.

Question on cleaning. Is one supposed to clean the stem with the pipe cleaning rod?

6. Bent

Bent Member

Enjoy that meer. The only thing is that you need to avoid is caking, otherwise they are not hard to care for. And yes, definitely go with a block. The difference between a cheap briar and an nice one isn't as pronounced as with cheap meers Vs. block meers.

As far as relighting goes, it is the most naturally thing in the pipe world and most pipe smokers (even seasoned ones) have to relight. Some people can smoke a pipe all the way down without a relight, but not all. If you have to relight 4 or 5 times per bowl then that might be an inconvenience, but once or twice is perfectly fine. I often relight just once, and I actually prefer to relight because it gives the pipe a few minutes to cool.

If you are new to pipes and have to relight 3+ times then it might just be a matter of revising your packing technique or drying out your tobacco a few minutes before packing. Lightning the pipe properly and evenly also makes a difference, and with a little bit of practice you will get it all down in no time.

Most important of all: Enjoy it! Not just the smoking but the learning process and the development of your taste in pipe tobacco, which takes a bit of fun experimenting.

7. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Good choice! I have been smoking my meers almost exclusively durning the winter. No need to worry about the wind while smoking a meer!

8. Tyler Eberle

Tyler Eberle Member

I am sure with experience I will get the hang of packing and lighting but for now I will smoke in peace and not around people so i don't look like a total noob hehe :P

I order the Meer yesterday and they said about a month to get it.

Also, I TRIED smoking last night. I packed a full bowl just like I did last night and I was constantly having to relight. I would light it....tamp it while puffing and than right after it would go cold. What would cause this? I puffed about 3 good 4 second puffs on the first light, then tamp and then it would go out. Every relight after that wouldn't last long at all. I want to say it's because the tobacco was moist but I am not 100% sure.

Packing is something that confuses me. I am the type of person who responds well to one type of direction. It seems like theres 10 different ways to pack. Is one right, are they all right? I tried filling and that wasn't working. Tonight I will try filling, packing it down, filling, packing it down until it get full and see where that takes me. I still think the tobacco was moist though. Any advice?

9. ol gto

ol gto Member

Place some of the tobacco out to dry, let it to the touch but not enough to become crisp. Try, try again:toast: As to packing, I just fill the bowl and do a soft, circular tamp on the top.

10. Tyler Eberle

Tyler Eberle Member

Ty sir! ^^^

Will let y'all know how it goes tonight :)

11. ol gto

ol gto Member

Tyler if you can place to close to an incandescent lamp that will speed the drying.:th1:

12. Tyler Eberle

Tyler Eberle Member

Well last night went a little better. Still quite a bit of relighting but all in all it was a lot better. Leaving the tobacco seemed to help but I don't think I am packing well enough. Can only get better from here :)

13. ol gto

ol gto Member

Improvement sometimes comes in small steps. You may want to let the tobacco dry longer and try that. Also instead of thinking "packing the pipe", you fill the pipe with tobacco with slight pressure - you then lightly tamp/pack the the top - after performing initial/char lighting, very lightly tamp. relight and continue:) Keep me posted, if you prefer - PM me.

14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Tyler...as for lighting and scorching the rim, don't use your cigar torch lighter! A soft flame lighter or stick matches are preferable as you can control the direction and concentration of the flame without frying everything. HTH
    Sounds like you are well on your way...just beware of TAD & PAD!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.