Newbie needs tobacco suggestions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by icedad, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icedad

icedad Member

My name is Randy and I'm new out here. I have some corn cobbers on the way, a couple of Ozark Mountain hardwoods from Aristocob.com. (All I have is 1 Ozark for now, but it works). One cheaper variety Meerschaum is also coming. I have tried and like Frog Morton :), Peter Stokkebye Black Cherry:), and of course CH. When I smoked cigarettes, I like Camel straights because of the Turkish tobacco flavor, so I also have some PT turkish tobacco coming, good or bad I don't know. WTH, thought I try it. Sonny boy recommended McBarren Golden extra, so that's on it's way also.
    With all of that said, I was hoping that I could get some other recommendations for other tobaccos I might like based on what I like. What I don't like, I'm sure someone else here may, and maybe I could get into trading. OBTW, where do you guys get those super small sampler bags that i see my son has?

Spillproof likes this.
  2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Hello and welcome to PSF.
    Given that you like CH and are coming off cigarettes, I bet you'd like Prince Albert.
    And though it is not at ALL like a cigarette, medium English blends generally include Turkish and Latakia tobaccos over a Va base, all of which often appeal to cig smokers (this is just my theory). Maybe give Dunhill London Mixture or Standard Mixture a shot.
    You might also like some quality burley blends like Uhle's 00, Solani Aged Burley Flake, and/or Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake.
    Then there's straight Va's. Give McClelland red cake (5100) a shot.

Cheers.

3. icedad

icedad Member

I haven't smoke cigarettes in 10 years, I just remembered the only cigarette tobacco that actually had a flavor was Camels. I couldn't smoke them cause I always got a buzz on them. lol

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The 3 blends you have tried are very different from each other so it's tough to suggest a mixture to you. If you have a local "brick & mortar" (B & M) tobacco shop near you, I would recommend visiting it. You can sniff all the different blends they have and they will usually let you sample one or two blends so take your pipe with you. I would recommend you avoid flake tobacco until you get a bit more experience. Somethimes they can be difficult to light and keep lit.

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Welcome from Pa.

Good suggestions above.

The cobs are great for SWRA and CH

6. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

As to baggies, I picked up a box from JoAnn's, and I suspect they could be found at other fabric/craft stores. I believe this is the exact product I got and I've shared a lot of samples! It's about time to buy a new box. JoAnn's had them in the jewelry making section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.