Newbie observations...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AkBuba, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

I'm VERY new to this, so PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong in any of this...
    I've smoked a few tobaccos now in a few different pipes. I haven't, as of yet, segregated any pipe for a specific baccy yet, though.

So, the pipes:
    [​IMG]
    The '06 St Patty
    A $7 corn cob and
    A briar I picked up locally marked "Cortina" and "Imported Briar"

The tobaccos (in the order I got them):
    - Captain Black
    - A Cherry/Vanilla blend given to my by a pipe smoker at the trap range
    - A blend from a tobaconnist in Scottsdale, Az called San Carlos – (Description: Rich currant flavors and a hint of green apple combine for a rich, smooth blend. This mild aromatic is a combination of Golden Virginia Tobaccos blended with mild Danish Black Cavendish.)
    - A Cherry/Vanilla I mixed my self from 2-2 oz bags of Cherry and Vanilla.
    - Borkum Riff Black Cavendish
    - NightCap.

What i have noticed about the Captain and Borkum is that they are sealed pretty tight when I get them and VERY moist inside. it reminds me of when I chewed Levi Garret - that kind of consistancy. I had a VERY hard time keeping them lit in the "Cortina" - the others I tried in that pipe were still trouble to keep lit, but not NEARLY as ard as the two pouches. The other tobaccos also seem a lot "less moist." Not dry, but much "drier."

All of the tobacco that I tried in the cob seemed to light better and stay lit longer. Before I got the St Patty's, I tried to compare the two pipes (cobb and Cortina) - the cobb seems to have a larger diameter hole in the stem, to allow more air flow.

In the St Patty yesterday, when i got time to sit and smoke I kind of went nuts. I ended up with 3 bowls of nightcap and 2 of the San Carlos blend. WOW, it was MUCH easier to keep these lit. I still have to do some relighting, but i think now it is about waiting too long between puffs. I haven't tried the more moist Captain and Borkum in this pipe, i'm thinking I'll just smoke them in the cob.

I'm reading a book - "In Search of Pipe Dreams," by Rick Newcombe - in one chapter he goes into great detail about how he has ALL of his pipes opened up to a minimum of 4mm. I'm not sure about that number in particular, but I think I may have to try opening up the "Cortina" and see if it turns into a better smoker. I have to say, I LOVE the St Patty!

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I don't see anything "wrong" here -- some very solid observations about how the smoking experience is going for you so far. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Peterson, too, I love my St Pat's from this year (that finish is just gorgeous).

3. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

Thanks. Appreciate the confirmation. Its hard to know if I'm on the right track without someone to bounce.it.off.of...

They have one for this.year!?!??!?! Oh, I NEED one of then! :)

4. Tony Malerich

Oh, that's right, '06 :D Yeah, it's a yearly thing. I think it started in the 80s.

AkBuba likes this.
  5. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

I just figured that was the year THIS one was made. I'm a dolt. lol

6. Tony Malerich

At the risk of further confusion...

St Patrick's is a yearly release. The finish changes from year to year. They're marked in some way with that year -- for the past several at least it's been a metal band with "St. Patrick's Day 20XX" around a shamrock.

7. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

Lol. You already know me and that I'm easily confused.
    That's cool stuff. May have to start collecting them since I like mine so much. :)

8. Tony Malerich

Yeah, this is the first year I picked up a St. Pat's and I'm definitely planning on continuing :)

9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I had a 2012 St. Pats Pete billiard in my hands just long enough to transfer it to a friend...
    Very nice looking pipe.

10. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

So, I'm sorry, but now I'm thinking about this... lol
    Do they only make one model or are there multiple options every year?
    I've been looking and it appears they might be different models year to year...

11. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Each year Peterson releases a series of St. Patrick's Day Pipes; that series may include several shapes:
    http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/st-patricks-day-2012.html 2:

12. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

AHHHHH. Got it. Thanks Spillproof.

13. Tony Malerich

Spillproof likes this.
  14. Pfeifenraucher

Pfeifenraucher Member

I've opened up several of my pipes and the improvement was dramatic. Better draw and fewer, if any re-lights.:bing:

AkBuba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.